Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Quick Performance Ford 9" Housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Midwest you get all the clips, etc... plus the LCA relocation brackets already on. Reason I went that way
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Midwest you get all the clips, etc... plus the LCA relocation brackets already on. Reason I went that way
I'm really happy you got the 3 dollar clips and 70 dollar brackets man. If I had another $800.00 to spare, I'd probably get a Midwest housing also. Oh wait,,, no I wouldn't because that would almost pay for my stroker crank!!

Mike
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I'm really happy you got the 3 dollar clips and 70 dollar brackets man. If I had another $800.00 to spare, I'd probably get a Midwest housing also. Oh wait,,, no I wouldn't because that would almost pay for my stroker crank!!

Mike
DITTO,,, Mikey has a point, and a very good one. Im with his way of thinking on this one.

875.00 rear end housing with axles, $ 875
900 for nodular center chunk with detroit locker $ 1775
120.00 for spool cause I hated the locker $ 1895
70.00 for the relocation brackets $ 1965
sold locker on ebay for 275.00
total for a complete bullet proof rear end $1690
Good luck getting it done for that price elsewhere

Last edited by RARON455; 03-10-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Actually I think you don't have the costs figured right since it also comes with the torque arm and bracket for relocation. I spent two days reading what people thought about housings/issues and weighed out the cost of Currie, QP, Moser and Mid-West. To each their own I guess. I'm not downing you for going with the cheaper one. For me I just want to bolt the bitch in and go.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Actually I think you don't have the costs figured right since it also comes with the torque arm and bracket for relocation. I spent two days reading what people thought about housings/issues and weighed out the cost of Currie, QP, Moser and Mid-West. To each their own I guess. I'm not downing you for going with the cheaper one. For me I just want to bolt the bitch in and go.
Another good point.

I paid 135.00 for my adjustable T/A and fabricated my own bracket to get the T/A off the trans, that cost me nothing though, but not everyone has this ability or means.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
Another good point.

I paid 135.00 for my adjustable T/A and fabricated my own bracket to get the T/A off the trans, that cost me nothing though, but not everyone has this ability or means.
was your adjustable made out of chromoly like the mid west is? probly not. and not all of us want it next to the tranny. i want a tunnel mount.

since QP is having all that stuff cut anyways. they should add 10daollars to the price of the rear and it should have reloaction brackets already on it.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

and price difference. really only the housing is the difference. the thrid member will be the same form about every where. if not buy it form the cheaper guy.

but also midwest is a fab style. less wieght. i have asked eric before if her can sell if with out the torque arm. he said yes. if i remember right (eric you might have to help me out) he said around 1100-1300

so qp is like 1000. plus spohn reloaction brackets 75 shipped. plus some one to weld them $60(for an hour, probly wont take a hour but they will probly charge you for one. oh and yes some people can do this them selves) ok so up to 1135. and it is heavy and old case. midwest is light and fab case.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
and price difference. really only the housing is the difference. the thrid member will be the same form about every where. if not buy it form the cheaper guy.

but also midwest is a fab style. less wieght. i have asked eric before if her can sell if with out the torque arm. he said yes. if i remember right (eric you might have to help me out) he said around 1100-1300

so qp is like 1000. plus spohn reloaction brackets 75 shipped. plus some one to weld them $60(for an hour, probly wont take a hour but they will probly charge you for one. oh and yes some people can do this them selves) ok so up to 1135. and it is heavy and old case. midwest is light and fab case.
You might be able to buy a midwest housing without the torque arm, but it's specifically made for that housing so you would have to fabricate your own. Nobody else makes one for it, so you wouldn't save any money by going that direction.

And the QP housing/TA Bracket/Moser Axles/Bearings/3" Studs was 945.00 shipped to my doorstep. Not sure how much the Midwest setup is shipped with all that same stuff. 1800.00 sound right? That's a huge difference, even if you had to buy the LCA reloc brackets and pay to have them installed. ****, even if you bought a new adjustable torque arm for 300.00, you're still way ahead money wise. I'm going to ask QP if they can fabricate their own torque arm. The TQ bracket they make could be the torque arm itself if they would just extend it forward.

Like I mentioned in post #8 of this same thread, there's no doubt the Midwest setup is very nice piece intended for some pretty serious racing efforts. But with that being said, unless you have plans to run in the 8's, I really don't see the benefit of spending that much extra money if you're on a budget like I am. I personally (as well as many others) have the ability to do alot of the extra stuff myself, like weld the LCA relocation brackets on, fab up some clips for the brake lines etc., and I enjoy doing that kind of stuff. But, comparing these two housing is sort of pointless IMO. They are not even close to the same price range. Now the Moser 9" housing, that to me seems like a more comparable housing.

Can we move on now? This thread was not started or intended to be a comparison face off against another housing that's almost twice the price.

Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

I've got a midwest unit here for a customer right now. Very impressive unit but like Mikey said it was very expensive. $4400 for it delivered. I can snap a few pics if someone wants. This was built for 1000 rwhp

I like that unit Mikey posted and the cost is the best part of it plus the TA hitting the floor (lack thereof) boards is a real turn off. Ellis clearanced mine for me (conventional 9")and I haven't had an issue but I know others haven't been so lucky. Thats where this new unit is so sweet as well as price.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

I'm thinking of going with the QP 9 inch. This has been a helpful thread. I'm glad I read it first. I was kind of nervous about going with something I havent heard that much about. They told me $2085 shipped. How can you beat it?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 84ls1_transam
I'm thinking of going with the QP 9 inch. This has been a helpful thread. I'm glad I read it first. I was kind of nervous about going with something I havent heard that much about. They told me $2085 shipped. How can you beat it?
I'm glad it helped ya out man.

I'm waiting for the Spohn relocation brackets to get here, then the housing is off to powdercoat. Really wishing I had ordered those brackets last week,,,,, aaaargh.

Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84ls1_transam
damn thats not bad at all! im glad ive been keeping up with rear ends and this thread. im thinking i need to buy this rear if i can get it for a price like that! how bad is the ground clearance from the ground to the bottom torque arm mount on the rear itself ? that looks like it would really suck if you hit a manhole cover :x
Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
damn thats not bad at all! im glad ive been keeping up with rear ends and this thread. im thinking i need to buy this rear if i can get it for a price like that! how bad is the ground clearance from the ground to the bottom torque arm mount on the rear itself ? that looks like it would really suck if you hit a manhole cover :x

The shock mounts hang lower than that, it's not that bad.

Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

The shock mounts hang lower than that, it's not that bad.

Mike
ahh thats good to hear. judging from the pictures it looks like its only afew inches off the floor. id also have to hope that your capable of mounting the stock antisway bar on the rear ?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
ahh thats good to hear. judging from the pictures it looks like its only afew inches off the floor. id also have to hope that your capable of mounting the stock antisway bar on the rear ?
sway bar shouldnt be an issue with the right brackets.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

was your adjustable made out of chromoly like the mid west is? probly not. and not all of us want it next to the tranny. i want a tunnel mount.

since QP is having all that stuff cut anyways. they should add 10daollars to the price of the rear and it should have reloaction brackets already on it.
get what you want then, pay what they want.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned

You might be able to buy a midwest housing without the torque arm, but it's specifically made for that housing so you would have to fabricate your own. Nobody else makes one for it, so you wouldn't save any money by going that direction.

And the QP housing/TA Bracket/Moser Axles/Bearings/3" Studs was 945.00 shipped to my doorstep. Not sure how much the Midwest setup is shipped with all that same stuff. 1800.00 sound right? That's a huge difference, even if you had to buy the LCA reloc brackets and pay to have them installed. ****, even if you bought a new adjustable torque arm for 300.00, you're still way ahead money wise. I'm going to ask QP if they can fabricate their own torque arm. The TQ bracket they make could be the torque arm itself if they would just extend it forward.

Like I mentioned in post #8 of this same thread, there's no doubt the Midwest setup is very nice piece intended for some pretty serious racing efforts. But with that being said, unless you have plans to run in the 8's, I really don't see the benefit of spending that much extra money if you're on a budget like I am. I personally (as well as many others) have the ability to do alot of the extra stuff myself, like weld the LCA relocation brackets on, fab up some clips for the brake lines etc., and I enjoy doing that kind of stuff. But, comparing these two housing is sort of pointless IMO. They are not even close to the same price range. Now the Moser 9" housing, that to me seems like a more comparable housing.

Can we move on now? This thread was not started or intended to be a comparison face off against another housing that's almost twice the price.

Mike

1800does nt sound right. like i said in post up above. WITH OUT torque arm it is like 1100-1300.

also can QP make it work with 3channel?

the guy the third gen said 2085. did you ask eric how much his would be for you. i bet not much over 2400. and be alot lighter.

yeah we can move on. i just like if i can get a moser for the same price as a qp. why buy a qp when moser has a great product for same money.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

the qp torque arm bracket looks like it might save a few pounds over the moser.
god that thing is heavy. i need to weigh it one day, but its not like i have to take it off, so its gonna stay put.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

1800does nt sound right. like i said in post up above. WITH OUT torque arm it is like 1100-1300.
I wonder how much it would cost to have someone fabricate a custom torque arm then? Or are you a master fabricator that can build your own torque arm with the correct geometry?

also can QP make it work with 3channel?
I don't think so, but I didn't even ask because I don't have a need for electronically controlled braking. But hey, if you need help with your braking capabilities, maybe the QP isn't for you.

the guy the third gen said 2085. did you ask eric how much his would be for you. i bet not much over 2400. and be alot lighter.
I don't even want to respond to this man. See my price breakdown on the first page of this thread.

yeah we can move on. i just like if i can get a moser for the same price as a qp. why buy a qp when moser has a great product for same money.
1. Do you even read the threads in here? Half of them are complaints about Moser 9" housings, and you claim that they're a "great product". Either the gears that they setup make ungodly noise, or the TA bracket bangs on the tunnel over every bump in the road. Or both..... great product!! How about mediocre at best.
2. Not only that, but the Moser housings have the same "non 3channel ABS" issue that QP has. I really don't get your logic on this at all.
3. The Moser 9" housing/axle package is more expensive than the QP by over 200.00.

Mike
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TJ
the qp torque arm bracket looks like it might save a few pounds over the moser.
god that thing is heavy. i need to weigh it one day, but its not like i have to take it off, so its gonna stay put.

The bare QP housing WITH the torque arm bracket is 75lbs. Just weighed mine tonight. I'll try to weigh it again once everything is put together.

Mike

Quick Reply: Quick Performance Ford 9" Housing