Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with rebuilding the rearend

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with rebuilding the rearend

can anyone give me some pointers on how to set pinion depth and check backlash, also if im not changing gears or anything do i really need to check backlash? thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Read this...
http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...structions.pdf
...It's the best instruction manual I have ever seen on the 'net.... That will answer all of your questions.

Including a yes, you need to also check backlash - UNLESS! you are reusing the existing shims, and don't get them mixed up as to where they came from. Keep in mind, that will only put the rearend back where it was before you tore it down. If it was wrong before, it will continue to be wrong.

Some of the more basic tools can be had at Harbor Freight pretty cheap - indicators, etc.. So there is really no reason for you not to check it.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

right on thanks a lot man yeah it should be correct i had a differiental shop do it about two years ago so backlash should be good but if it is easy enough ill go ahead and recheck it just to be sure i know that the shim under my one pinion bearing got trashed some how so i think thats really all i need to do is get a new shim and set pinion depth again
Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
Read this...
http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...structions.pdf
...It's the best instruction manual I have ever seen on the 'net.... That will answer all of your questions.

Including a yes, you need to also check backlash - UNLESS! you are reusing the existing shims, and don't get them mixed up as to where they came from. Keep in mind, that will only put the rearend back where it was before you tore it down. If it was wrong before, it will continue to be wrong.

Some of the more basic tools can be had at Harbor Freight pretty cheap - indicators, etc.. So there is really no reason for you not to check it.
I have a question, i'm just removing the diff, axles, bearings, etc to have the axle housing powder coated. Assuming I keep the shims in the correct order, could i just press in new bearings, use a new crush sleeve, and reassemble with out needing to check pinion depth again, backlash etc.?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I have a question, i'm just removing the diff, axles, bearings, etc to have the axle housing powder coated. Assuming I keep the shims in the correct order, could i just press in new bearings, use a new crush sleeve, and reassemble with out needing to check pinion depth again, backlash etc.?
ALWAYS best to check it all, but you should be pretty close to what it was before you took it apart.