Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

happy with your moser 12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default happy with your moser 12 bolt

I wanted to know if your satisfied with moser 12 bolt because im in the process of buying one and wanted to know what do you think of it. i am going to be getting one with 33 spline and eaton posi. i also want to know what is up with the torque arm because i was told to buy new bolts which are longer than the suppied ones and also to have them welded so they dont come out because there are 4 bolts instead of 2 long ones so even with locktite they loosen up any info on that thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.

Here is the link to our Moser 9 inch price. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

i got my moser 12 from EPP. i've had exceptional customer service from him.

i've had no issues with my TA bolts. i made a point to really clean out the bolts and bolt holes with brake cleaner, and red loctited the **** out of them. i've checked them twice now, and still at the proper torque spec.

the best piece of advice i can give, is to order your rear with the damn LCA relo brackets already installed. I had a set, so i didnt order them from moser... but the labor that all the shop's i've called want to charge to install them is the cost of the damn brackets themselves!!

and my moser does whine... but its not bad enough to make me regret buying it. I'm accepting of the fact that race parts = reduced comfort.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Launching!

If you have a stick, and want to race it, do as Bob says and get the 9". I just broke my eaton posi 12 bolt with less then 20 passes on drag radials and 100 street miles. Maybe the eaton breaking had nothing to do with the 12 bolt design, not sure, but if I had to do it again I would go 9". Now have 12 bolt spool.
Thanks for the help and getting me set back up Bob.

Jay
Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

longer bolts and have them welded if using an aftermarket TA. i broke the TA mount in half when the stock bolts started backing out.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.

Here is the link to our Moser 9 inch price. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
i thought the moser 9" is also lighter than the 12 bolt?

Quick Reply: happy with your moser 12 bolt