Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

options for pressing bearings/ABS rings onto new axles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb options for pressing bearings/ABS rings onto new axles

I've got a new pair of Moser 31 spline axles for the 9" I'm working on getting into my car. Here's what I know I need to do:

* transfer ABS rings from the 10 bolt axle shafts
* transfer the 10 bolt backing plate parts onto the axle
* install new bearings and "retaining ring" (for lack of knowing what the rings are called).
* install the axles into the housing

All that sound correct? Finally, any chance I can use a pipe that fits over the axle and a hammer (of whatever variety) to carefully "press" the parts onto the axle shafts myself? Or do I need to get these pressed somewhere?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Eagle
Old 02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never reccomend banging a bearing on. Use a press to install them.

Jeff
Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a shop press my set 20 bearings and the retainers. I went to install the axles into the housing (Strange 12 bolt) and they would no longer fit. It turns out that there is another company out there making the TIMKEN/FORD set 20 bearings and they have improved the seal but they changed the "retaining ring" !!! WTF!! :rant:

Anyway, I was now broke and impatient. I wrapped the new bearing to keep it clean then I cut the ring off. I put the new retaining ring on with a pipe and and 5 lb. hammer. Just tap it on until it is flush with the bearing. Have a friend help to make sure you don't go to far.

Axles are in and no problems, but if I had the time, I would have had them pressed.

Quick Reply: options for pressing bearings/ABS rings onto new axles