Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser vs. Strange

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser vs. Strange

Well, I am gunna go with a 12 bolt rear. Its obvious that Moser is one of the top choices. But, what about Strange? Their setups are about the same price, so why don't many ppl run em?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

Check this link out. I have info here on why I don't recommend going with a 12 bolt. Bob
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Moser uses 4 blind threaded holes for the torque arm mount point. Which equals broken torque arms and other damage if those arent checked regularly. Now the Strange 12bolt uses through bolts (just like the stock 10bolt) for their torque arm mount. Personally if it were me i would buy the strange. Im not entirely sure why moser decided to go with that particular type of torque arm mounting but its not the best. If you decide to go moser, i would recommend that you drill holes through the bolt heads and saftey wire them up. That will keep them from backing out and prevent damage.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People on here do use Strange 12-bolts (me included) - we just don't talk much about it. Bob from EPP pedals Moser products, and that certainly helps make Moser look a bit more popular, so keep that in mind.

As for me, I wanted a 12-bolt for my application (street car, light track duty if any at all, but I do plan on putting a serious engine in this car in a couple years and the 10-bolt would not cut it). Moser has a shitty design for their 12-bolt torque arm mount, and is one of the biggest reasons why I would never recommend their 12-bolt to anyone - their 9" setup doesn't use the same design.

The only beef I've had with my Strange 12-bolt was the gear setup from them - it came set up noisy as ****. I expected it, and I will fix it myself - aftermarket parts rarely, if ever, go in without issue, and I was willing to take the risk. Overall (besides the gear setup), the quality was VERY good - very nice welds, and the suspension brackets use the exact same stamps as the factory 10-bolt. Unlike a 9" rear, the 12-bolt looks like it belongs under the car, and that was important to me.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

Check this link out. I have info here on why I don't recommend going with a 12 bolt. Bob
I dont like movin all that torque arm stress to those three mounting points, like the link you gave showed. What other torque arm mounting options do I have for a 9"

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Moser uses 4 blind threaded holes for the torque arm mount point. Which equals broken torque arms and other damage if those arent checked regularly. Now the Strange 12bolt uses through bolts (just like the stock 10bolt) for their torque arm mount. Personally if it were me i would buy the strange. Im not entirely sure why moser decided to go with that particular type of torque arm mounting but its not the best. If you decide to go moser, i would recommend that you drill holes through the bolt heads and saftey wire them up. That will keep them from backing out and prevent damage.
Right, this is why Im seriously considering the Strange unit.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
People on here do use Strange 12-bolts (me included) - we just don't talk much about it. Bob from EPP pedals Moser products, and that certainly helps make Moser look a bit more popular, so keep that in mind.

As for me, I wanted a 12-bolt for my application (street car, light track duty if any at all, but I do plan on putting a serious engine in this car in a couple years and the 10-bolt would not cut it). Moser has a shitty design for their 12-bolt torque arm mount, and is one of the biggest reasons why I would never recommend their 12-bolt to anyone - their 9" setup doesn't use the same design.

The only beef I've had with my Strange 12-bolt was the gear setup from them - it came set up noisy as ****. I expected it, and I will fix it myself - aftermarket parts rarely, if ever, go in without issue, and I was willing to take the risk. Overall (besides the gear setup), the quality was VERY good - very nice welds, and the suspension brackets use the exact same stamps as the factory 10-bolt. Unlike a 9" rear, the 12-bolt looks like it belongs under the car, and that was important to me.
Ya, Im kinda tryin to stick with GM parts in my car, like I did with FoMoCo parts in my Ford.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correct me if im wrong, but i believe thats the only way of mounting a stock torque arm on a 9 inch.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

"People on here do use Strange 12-bolts (me included) - we just don't talk much about it. Bob from EPP pedals Moser products, and that certainly helps make Moser look a bit more popular, so keep that in mind."

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 03-02-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: unjustified sponsor bashing
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Correct me if im wrong, but i believe thats the only way of mounting a stock torque arm on a 9 inch.
Not like Ill be the one to do it, but it sure seems like a hard launch would bust those bosses off.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

A lot of guys run in the 8's with the Moser 9 inch, and I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the torque arm mounts. I've spent over a million dollars with Moser, and most of these were with the Moser 9 inch. Bob
Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
A lot of guys run in the 8's with the Moser 9 inch, and I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the torque arm mounts. I've spent over a million dollars with Moser, and most of these were with the Moser 9 inch. Bob
Hmm, well alright then thats good to know.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The 9" rear has more going for it than just the torque arm mounting solution - the pinion support is a much better design, and how the gears mesh also promotes strength (and more HP loss). For me, though, it was overkill since I don't drag race the **** out of my car.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I always knew the pinnion location was better on the 9" but I still want a 12 bolt for my car. If I ever get to the point where Im bustin em up like nobodies bussiness, then Ill move to a 9".

So back on topic. Any more opinions on Moser vs. Strange 12 bolt?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

If you're getting a 12 bolt definaetely go Strange. I have one, love it.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

My strange rear whines like a bitch... I will be replacing the gears very shortly.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

I have a Moser rear end in my car. The studs that came on it were a joke. They snapped off within the first hundred miles and I lost a wheel. (Also happened to another guy here in Tulsa on a set of CCW's). The standard ones are cheap crap and is a joke that they'd even put them on a rear end with intentions of racing on it.

I helped a friend install a Strange D60 and everything about the strange looked to be much higher quality than my moser rear end. Everything from the brackets to the welds. The welds on the strange rear end looked like art compared to the ones on my moser rear end.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
My strange rear whines like a bitch... I will be replacing the gears very shortly.
Besides the gear whine how do you like it?

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
I have a Moser rear end in my car. The studs that came on it were a joke. They snapped off within the first hundred miles and I lost a wheel. (Also happened to another guy here in Tulsa on a set of CCW's). The standard ones are cheap crap and is a joke that they'd even put them on a rear end with intentions of racing on it.

I helped a friend install a Strange D60 and everything about the strange looked to be much higher quality than my moser rear end. Everything from the brackets to the welds. The welds on the strange rear end looked like art compared to the ones on my moser rear end.
Wow, thats interesting to hear. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

I have a Strange 12-bolt, but I bought it 4 years ago when there weren't a lot of options at the time. I would honestly look at the Midwest Chassis 9". My friend bought one last year and I helped install it. It's a first quality piece and will withstand major power and is almost as light as the stock 10-bolt.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm sure they are both worth every dollar but i can say i have 2 mosers both alumiunm center sections and spooled and gundrilled starflanged axles and i love them both no troubles
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I have a Strange 12-bolt, but I bought it 4 years ago when there weren't a lot of options at the time. I would honestly look at the Midwest Chassis 9". My friend bought one last year and I helped install it. It's a first quality piece and will withstand major power and is almost as light as the stock 10-bolt.
Do you still have the Strange today?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

I have mixed feelings about my Moser 12-bolt, but I certainly would not buy another one. On the one hand, it has held up at the track rentals I go to time and again (15 or so runs per rental) dumping the Textralia at about 5000 RPM on slicks plus thousands and thousands of miles of street driving and hasn't broken yet, which is the main reason I bought it.

On the other hand, the whine from this is insanely loud at most speeds, especially highway speeds, and it clunks like crazy when I go around corners. Both my brother and I have the same rear in the same car making the same power and have had the same exact experience with them sound-wise, clunking-wise, but also holding up to the track beatings. They've both clunked and whined pretty much from the start. We've checked the torque arm bolts and they stay in fine but we haven't been able to determine why they clunk like they do. We have different transmissions (he has the stock T56 and I have a built MN12 T56) but I've noticed they tend to clunk a lot louder when you go around a corner in neutral rather than in gear.

Also, we both have the Eaton Posi units, not the lockers, so unless the Eaton is supposed to clunk like that, that's not the reason.

If it ever breaks, I'll be going to a 9-inch most likely.