Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

blown axle seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown axle seal

i went to get new tires put on the other day and the guy said i had a blown rear axle seal on the drivers side cuz the caliper and rotor were all dirty...he said theres a decent chance i would need to replace the axle as well and gave me a quick quote at around 400 for just the seal being replaced and another 480 for the axle...does that sounds about right? i found an axle at autozone.com for 223 but i dont know much about this sort of thing...any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

anyone???
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And there is most definately a more than decent chance that your axle is perfectly fine, you went in the shop for new tires not a driveline problem. what you need to do is find out for sure if you need new axles, If you are not capable or willing to take it apart, which by the way is a fairly easy job!! then take it to another shop, not that one, (because from the sounds of it) if you have him take it apart you will definately need new axles. If you want to take it to another shop tell them you need an axle seal replaced, and generally like any decent honest shop when they pull it apart they will inspect the axle, then if it needs to be replaced they will call you and show you why. I dont like the fact that a shop is giving you a price to do work when they dont even know if it is required.
This is my opinion, if you want to do it yourself the best thing to do is go to autozone and buy a haynes manual for your car, it is very easy to understand and has lots of pictures.
If you still want to do it and are not sure Myself and I am sure alot of other fellas would help walk you through the process.
Hope this helps you.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

well i read the chilton manual and it talks about all kinds of special tools and kits and stuff and making sure not to damage any thing blah blah blah...sounded like a huge pain in the ***!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Is the axle bearing on that side making any noise?
Possibility of just the seal lost integrity and there's nothing wrong with the axle/bearing.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

You either jump in and do it or pay the price.
Basically you take the tires off. the two bolts per side on the rear brakes, the one bolt per side on the speed sensors (4ch only), ten bolts for the cover, one bolt for the cross pin or thrust block, push the axles in, turn until you hear the c clip fall then pull them out, look at the bearing surface.

If you need to replace the axles the most difficult part is removing the old bearings, rent a puller/slide hammer. Install the new ones with a piece of pipe or socket or a special tool that looks just like a piece of pipe, and hammer. Same with the seal.

Tools needed:
jack and jack stands.
lug nut wrench
10mm wrench (4ch only)
15mm wrench or socket
ratchet to match your sockets
1/2" or 13mm socket
drain pan
5/16 or 8mm wrench boxed end
seal puller or screw driver
bearing remover
bearing installer
medium hammer
something to hold the brakes up so they don't hang on the hoses.
I think thats it.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Is the axle bearing on that side making any noise?
Possibility of just the seal lost integrity and there's nothing wrong with the axle/bearing.
nope...the only thing at all is the dirty caliper/rotor...
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just post and ask questions here that is what we are here for, to learn from each other.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

like 9000th01ss said,easy.
once the axle is pulled and if it shows the bearing and axles' bearing surface to be OK and just the seal needs replacement,simple matter of just removing the seal(wouldn't have to pull the bearing),installing the seal,cleaning/refinishing the area of the axle at the seal area and reassembly of everything you disassembled.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like we are telling ya its not hard,,,,, and by the way the haynes book smokes the chilton every day of the week. and thats from personal experience.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

replacing an axel is stupid easy.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

lol just because its dirty doesnt mean its leaking fluid. take it home, take off the wheel and clean it up. add more fluid to the rear and drive it for a day or 2. then have a peak for rear end fluid.

it looks dirty...LOL
$400 to replace an axle seal...LOL!!!!

do it yourself, its fun.

btw there would be rear end lube on the inside of your wheel if you have a bad seal.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

lol i know what you mean man but it is definately leaking, you can see where its dripping and how its getting all over everything...im sure i could handle the job but its about 30* by me right now and i dont have access to a garage to work in....my mechanic said he would do it today for like a hundred bucks so i just took it there...thanks for the info though
Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

For what it's worth, I removed the rear out of my car and took it to a friend of mine, and for $200 he installed my new gears, new Moser axles, all of the bearings/seals (axle, pinion, carrier, etc), and washed down everything/painted the housing. So I would say $880 for a single axle & seal is quite the ripoff! Had it just been an axle or seal I would have done it myself though, but I don't trust myself doing gears, and he's been doing it forever

Also, PLEASE do not buy a single axle at Autozone for that much. For about $25 more you can get TWO forged Mosers shipped to your door from Jegs
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick_Rapitis
lol i know what you mean man but it is definately leaking, you can see where its dripping and how its getting all over everything...im sure i could handle the job but its about 30* by me right now and i dont have access to a garage to work in....my mechanic said he would do it today for like a hundred bucks so i just took it there...thanks for the info though
Much better than $400
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strahley
For what it's worth, I removed the rear out of my car and took it to a friend of mine, and for $200 he installed my new gears, new Moser axles, all of the bearings/seals (axle, pinion, carrier, etc), and washed down everything/painted the housing. So I would say $880 for a single axle & seal is quite the ripoff! Had it just been an axle or seal I would have done it myself though, but I don't trust myself doing gears, and he's been doing it forever

Also, PLEASE do not buy a single axle at Autozone for that much. For about $25 more you can get TWO forged Mosers shipped to your door from Jegs
your friend wouldnt happen to live in the northeast ohio area would he? lol thats not a bad deal at all!! i'll have to check that out at jeggs, thanks for the heads up!

Quick Reply: blown axle seal