Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

i have a noise comming from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i have a noise comming from the rear

im not sure what exactly it is, but when im driving at least 40+ mph i can hear it, it sounds exactly like road/tire noise, i thought it was just that.. road noise, but after changing my tires in the back, the sound is the exact same

everything in the diff is stock, but i did replace the pinion seal, i used a caliper gauge when installing the pinion seal to make sure everything was put back on exactly how it came off (i measured the threads in front of the nut) and when i put it back on, it was only like 0.005" difference.. im assuming that that small amount wouldnt cause the problem

i do seem to have a problem with my rear brakes also, it seems that on both sides, only one pad is wearing down.. when i changed them, one pad was completely gone (i was stopping on bare metal, no pad left) but the other pad looked almost brand new.. could that be causing the noise?

im also having a squeak back there, basically "1 squeak per revolution" and you can only hear it while going slow 0-5mph i personally thought it was the driveshaft on the rear end side, but could it be the back brakes?

im just worried that my diff might be going.. any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several issues. First, behind the pinion nut is s crush collar, it is one use only and must be replaced. The correct tightening of the nut is done with an inch pound torque wrench to measure the preload on the pinion as you tighten.

Rear brakes wouldn't cause your noise but get kit from GM that includes new bolts, springs and bolt seals along with lube and make sure the calipers are free to slide.

Squeak could be the brakes or the ujoints, best to get the wheels off the ground and listen for it.

Axle bearings will cause the road noise you hear - does it change when you turn the car while moving?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Several issues. First, behind the pinion nut is s crush collar, it is one use only and must be replaced. The correct tightening of the nut is done with an inch pound torque wrench to measure the preload on the pinion as you tighten.

Rear brakes wouldn't cause your noise but get kit from GM that includes new bolts, springs and bolt seals along with lube and make sure the calipers are free to slide.

Squeak could be the brakes or the ujoints, best to get the wheels off the ground and listen for it.

Axle bearings will cause the road noise you hear - does it change when you turn the car while moving?

it makes the squeak when the driveshaft is out, so its not that.. i figured it was either the pinion seal somehow making noise, or the brakes

i figured that it might be the brakes making the noise since they are a bit messed up already

where are the axle bearings, and how do you replace them? the noise does seem to get louder, but only when going around bends fast, if i slow down it stays the same.

i know that my shocks are shot in the back.. any possibility that they might be causing the noise?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badmfkr
I had a simiarl noise only at slow speeds very noticable when making a right turn real slow.

the axels were pitted where they sit on the race.

new GM axels & races cured it.
so it sounded just like road noise?

when driving inside of the car, it sounds like i have 33" offroad mud tires on it (although i do have snow tires on the car now, it still made the noise with my normal tires)

how much are the axles and how hard were they to put in?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have an update, im not sure if this did anything, but i jacked the back end up today and tried to push the tires in and out and there was no movement.. the only thing that happened was the car shook a bit

does this tell me anything about the axles?

thanks!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, i checked earlier today and kinda tried to turn hard around the bends, and the sound hardly changed.. if at all

i still kinda have a feeling it is my back brakes rubbing, both calipers back there are seized, i think the pads might be rubbing slightly.. although when i brake it doesnt really change the noise