Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Fill Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" Fill Question

I purchased my car back in November and have noticed a drip in my driveway from the rear and oily mess underneath the rear of the car. I was going to add some gear oil throught the fill plug on the driver side and once I removed it oil came pouring out, until leveling off with the fill plug. After searching I believe I know the answer but would like confirmation before taking off in her.

Did the prior owner just over fill the rear and could the existing mess be from the vent?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like it was overfilled. The fill plug is the oil level check bolt. You fill it until there is oil coming out of the hole and it is full. If you are worried about it drain and refill the rear then you know how much fluid is in it.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Yeah I figured that. I drained and refilled and no more mess after a hard drive. Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jvlz28
Yeah I figured that. I drained and refilled and no more mess after a hard drive. Thanks
I've heard of this happening more than once. I'm surprised you don't have a real mess on your hands. Bob