Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Lugs snapped off

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lugs snapped off

Hey folks,

This week has been full of fun. I borrowed my dad's truck for a camping trip, and left him my Camaro in Virginia for his use since his Impala's steering went out, sending him into a guardrail on I-95. And for greater hilarity, I drove his truck all the way back to Raleigh, loaded everything up, and made it 20 miles before the fuel pump gave out. Those vehicles are in the shop. He calls today to let me know that he was again driving down I-95, this time in my car, and he thought a tire blew out.

He got out of the car and found that all 5 lugs on the rear passenger axle had snapped off. So the wheel had luckily and miraculously stayed on the vehicle via the rotor/brake assembly. I had just bought and installed a complete Dana S60 over Christmas break, and have had no troubles since. I torqued the nuts to 100 ft lbs, with a mechanical torque wrench (not digital...)

Anyway, aside from overtorquing the nuts, what could have caused this?? I haven't seen the car, since its 250 miles away and my only current mode of transportation is in a shop as well. (the truck...) So will I be needing to replace the entire hub assembly, or is there a way the shop can remove the hub and press on new lugs? I never really looked at them in depth so am kind of ignorant, but any help would be appreciated. Hopefully I will hear back from Strange about what they would like to help with... I'm hoping the brakes are alright on that end of the vehicle too, as well as the wheel though I'm sure its scratched all the hell.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Does your dad have a sense of humor?
I don't think you can break all five lugs and safely pull the car to the side of the road.
He's either screwing with your head, or he broke them taking a flat tire off. JMHO.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

thats some shitty luck man. i torque mine to 100ftlbs also and never had a prob. you might consider getting the ARP lugnut studs when you get new ones. they are the strongest you can get. i would think that the hub should be fine. just check it over very carefully
Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Well he just called and gave me an update.

and yea, I don't see how a wheel stays on like that. My physics knowledge says its rotational momentum will make it stay straight on its own (as a motorcycle stays straight when moving) and I guess since it was on the right side, and he pulled off the road to the right, it made the car turn into the wheel instead of away from it, which may have kept it on. Had it been on the left side I doubt I would have been so lucky.

Anyway he acts like the axle has been BENT somehow. I'm not sure how that would happen when just driving down the road. I just can't put a scenario through my head that would cause it...on a Dana.

I'm hoping its a suspension part that's snapped like the control arm or something instead of the axle or housing being broken.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

I'd think he's BS'ing you.
Or you are.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I'd think he's BS'ing you.
Or you are.
He's not that funny of a guy...

besides how do you make a story like that up? haha

The way I see it, the control arm must have snapped or something, sending the right side of the axle back a bit, which would have pointed the wheel outward some, putting a LOT more force on the lugs than usual, which in turn must have snapped them off one by one pretty quickly... I dont know. If his truck is fixed tomorrow I may drive up there to look and take some pictures..I'm very curious myself as to how this happens... He said the shop will give him a call in the morning and then he'll let me know what their diagnosis is.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Allllrighty. My adjustable panhard bar's adjustment had come loose and pushed the rear out to the left...making the right tire point outward a bit like I had assumed and then shearing off the lug studs. Shouldnt be too bad to fix...I'm gonna get them to take off the cover and check the differential just to be safe though. WHEW. thought that tax return was going byebye already...