Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Almost In

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 9" Almost In

Well, I just spent almost hours of grunting, busting up my hands, tearing my jeans and bruising my knees putting my new 9" into my Trans Am. After all of that work, my drivesaft doesn't match the new rear. I'm wondering, can I just swap out end caps on the the u-joint for smaller ones? And how do I go about finding the right size?

Also, how much gear oil do I put in the rear? Cause I put about 1.5 quarts in and it didn't even look any was in there (flashlight in the fill plug). I also just realized that one of the quarts I put in said "LS" on the bottle. I'm assuming that means Limited Slip, which my rear is not (locker). Does it really make a difference (it's the same weight...75W90)?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember how much I put...3-3.5 maybe. I used some heavy oil...85w140. No problems..

Are you trying to use the stock driveshaft? You will need to get a 1350 u-joint conversion kit from NAPA.

Also, you will most likely have some vibration problems and need a driveshaft that is 1" longer.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS.666
Well, I just spent almost hours of grunting, busting up my hands, tearing my jeans and bruising my knees putting my new 9" into my Trans Am. After all of that work, my drivesaft doesn't match the new rear. I'm wondering, can I just swap out end caps on the the u-joint for smaller ones? And how do I go about finding the right size?

Also, how much gear oil do I put in the rear? Cause I put about 1.5 quarts in and it didn't even look any was in there (flashlight in the fill plug). I also just realized that one of the quarts I put in said "LS" on the bottle. I'm assuming that means Limited Slip, which my rear is not (locker). Does it really make a difference (it's the same weight...75W90)?
Limited slip fluid won't hurt anything. It takes a little over three quarts of gear oil, here is a copy of the instructions. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1263
It takes a Napa 447 u joint to make a 1350 yoke work with your stock driveshaft. Bob