Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just Ordered Midwest Fab 9 inch!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just Ordered Midwest Fab 9 inch!!!!

Well I just got off the phone with Eric at Midwest Chassis and Performance. Just like everyone has always said Eric was a super nice guy to talk with and very informative. Here is my basic build sheet of what I went with

Midwest Fab 9 inch
Strange Aluminum Center Section
Back brace upgrade
Black Powder coating
Chromemoly Adjustable LCA and PHB
Richmond gear set 3.70 ratio
Axles drilled for stock studs and 1/2 ARP screw in studs
Tunnel Mounted Torque Arm with driveshaft safety loop

I can't wait to get it and get it in the car.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweetness, you won't regret it. They're the best on the market IMHO.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

I will be starting the install of mine on Wed. It does look very nice....
Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

You wont regret it. Have him set it up and send it whole. Will save you a few small headaches. Im doing mine now and wish I could just slap it in.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
You wont regret it. Have him set it up and send it whole. Will save you a few small headaches. Im doing mine now and wish I could just slap it in.
What headaches are you referring to? I told eric I would assemble it myself, he said that for them to assemble it they have to ship it truck freight and I have to have a unloading dock for the truck to unload it.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

If you don't have access to a shipping dock, you can have it shipped crated/complete from MWC to your house - but you will need to pay a liftgate truck fee (~$150) since they'll need a lift gate truck to deliver it to a residence.

Some small headaches are getting the studs into the housing and then getting the third member onto the studs. Rumor has it it's common to have to elongate some holes to get the third member over the studs. (I had mine shipped completely assembled but have read about this in other posts).

You will probably also have to enlarge the shock mount holes, check the bolt size, I used a Unibit to enlarge the holes for my Bilsteins... If you're using 4 channel ABS, the ABS sensors may need to be filed down a little to clear/fit. I needed to adjust my BMR adjustable panhard as short as it would go to get the rear centered... Other than that, it was pretty smooth sailing...

Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 03-24-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I had the option to pick it up from the FedEx warehouse. They called me to notify me that it was in and asked for directions to get it to me but also asked if I wanted to pick it up.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

I wonder if I could also pick it up from the warehouse. I have a truck to pick it up with so maybe I will call Eric and see if thats a possibility. It would be awfully nice to just get it and throw it in the car. I was a little worried about getting the bearings pressed onto the backing plates which Eric told me I would have to do if I do the assembly. Has anybody done this and was it too bad?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its really not that hard. Its just you have to learn the first time you do it. If I did it again it wouldnt be bad.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it is possible to have a complete assy delivered to the most local FedEx Freight terminal. they will notify you of its delivery and load it for you into a vehicle with a forktruck. otherwise a liftgate would be required to have it delivered residential and there are extra fees for that, but it is possible.
as for the little things, there are always a few bumps in the road when you are working on anything mechanical. probably the worst thing is the axle bearing install and the install of the center section. the bearings are actually simple to do, but you have to be sure its right the first time or you may face bigger problems if you have to remove the bearing assy after its pressed on. the center section is easy as well, but there isn't a new housing out there that all the studs are perfectly aligned. all you have to do is set the center section on the studs and make a note of which way they would need to go for alignment. either use a poly hammer or a nut on the stud and tap it the direction it needs to go. this helps alot in the initial installation of the center section and once it goes over the threads you pull it down the rest of the way with the nut.(don't forget the sealer!)

all in all its not that bad of a deal. we have done countless assemblies and it has been consistent throughout. I charge 80.00 shop labor to do a complete assembly and the freight is the same unless you are on the west coast. for what it takes, 80.00 isn't too bad of a deal considering what someone inexperienced could run into.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ha well guess what Im doing it again.

I wasnt to sure about my seal job the first time and I had it lined up under the car and was attaching things when I got frustrated. I couldnt get the brake thing to thread onto the pumpkin. I got mad and just pulled it all out and took it all apart. Now I have to clean out the old seal and start over. I think this time Ill wait to install the axles until I get it on the car. That thing gets heavy when your working by yourself.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

I got mine assembled last night and the 10 bolt out on the floor. I had no problems other than having to use a mallet to install the center section onto the housing, (I'm sure that will be hell to get off the car later lying on my back, oh well), The brake lines weren't too bad, but I wish they were a little better looking..... I may just make new brake lines that will fit and look better. One problem I have is the tunnel mount for the TorqueArm will not clear the exhaust right at the Y pipe, I am going to mess with it some more today, I think if I grind some material off of one of the pieces of metal holding the Saftey loop I may be able to make it fit...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any pics of the install?? How was the install??I didn't see a finish to this thread
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midwest Fab is about ten minutes from where my folks live, now if I only had the money for his services.

Oh yeah, how did the installation go?