Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion seal

setting up new gears and cant seem to find a pinion seal that is big enough for the yoke. the yoke looks like it has a speedy sleave on it but it came from the factory like that. as far as i know the axle never had any service. are there two size pinion seals?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

There is a thread indicating a design change during the 2002 production,if I run across it,I'll link it.Could possibly be back as far as half a year ago.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omec
setting up new gears and cant seem to find a pinion seal that is big enough for the yoke. the yoke looks like it has a speedy sleave on it but it came from the factory like that. as far as i know the axle never had any service. are there two size pinion seals?
Yes.

I had that problem when I used a Motive install kit on my rearend. The pinion seal included is wrong and caused a HORRIBLE leak.

The correct seal is $8 from a dealer. 12471523

Last edited by jetlag; 03-23-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jetlag
Yes.

I had that problem when I used a Motive install kit on my rearend. The pinion seal included is wrong and caused a HORRIBLE leak.

The correct seal is $8 from a dealer. 12471523
thanks jetlag. ill give the dealer a call. how did you get the yoke to even fit into the motive pinion seal? the other timken seal i just bought is the same size as the motive one and its waaay too small.

FirstYrLS1Z - thanks for lookin for that thred!

corey
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

thanks jetlag. ill give the dealer a call. how did you get the yoke to even fit into the motive pinion seal?
I didn't do the install...a "master ASE technician" did it... after I got home and called to tell him about it, he replies "hmmm yeah, that seal was kind of tight, I had a hell of a time getting it on"

GEEE THANKS
Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jetlag
I didn't do the install...a "master ASE technician" did it... after I got home and called to tell him about it, he replies "hmmm yeah, that seal was kind of tight, I had a hell of a time getting it on"

GEEE THANKS
how in the hell... dude it seriously isnt even close. what a moron wow. i went to the dealer today and got the right seal. thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

how in the hell... dude it seriously isnt even close. what a moron wow. i went to the dealer today and got the right seal. thanks for the help!
What is even more funny about the story....I drove 90 miles to his shop because everyone said this is THE GUY TO DO GEAR INSTALLS...Best around! hahahha

fail

So I couldn't easily take my car back to get it fixed with a busted seal. I didn't want to drive it anywhere..so I removed the rearend and took it to a local shop and he did a good job and only charged me $175 to completely redo my gears.