Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differentials for 9in 31 spline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Differentials for 9in 31 spline?

I currently searching for a replacement for my Truetrac, because it's always acting like a spool. I open it, the 4 upper gears are jammed and all tooth are broke, 4 lower gears are marked but not jammed. And 1 of the 2 big gears also have broken tooths. All done with a bolt-ons LS1 with no more than 6 month with the new rear. So i'm pissed off and i'm looking for a other differential than the Craptrac.

I did some search and I don't know which choose, Locker or Auburn pro series. The Eaton posi is not available for a 9in so the Auburn was my second option, anyone had try the Auburn Pro series? The locker seems to act almost like a spool, locking on light load when turning, turn me off a little bit.

I saw on this board that the axles spline for the truetrac may be different so you need change axles when you install a other posi system, is that true?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hubert, what happened to your Truetrac is pretty rare, as I have sold hundreds of them with very few problems. Today was my first day back at the shop after being gone for over a week. I got food poisoning Saturday and I only lasted at the shop for several hours before I came back home. I'll talk to Moser about your situation hopefully tomorrow. Bob
Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Bob, I'll wait for your answer.

TTT if anyone tried the Auburn Pro series or have any information about the rumor of difference in axles spline for the truetrac.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a pic of the TrueTrak?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Yes, here's some pictures

Old 04-01-2009, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Anyone ?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 AM
11 Second Club

That's why I went with a spool. It might not be the most friendliest thing for dd driving, but I don't have to worry about rebuilding anything or breaking anything.

Man I hope moser resolves this for you cause like Bob said you don't really hear of this happening.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

I'm putting the Ford clutch posi with billet cover in.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of a few guys who broke the true tracs. Everyone I know says go with a detroit locker. They can take the abuse and I understand they make one that unlocks easier in the turns for the street. They allow the outside tire to unlock and turn faster than the ring gear but the inside tire is locked in and turns ring gear speed so it will scrub a little. But you know it is always locked straight at WOT.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

I've send my center section to Bob to get it check by Moser. Thanks for reply!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PwrdbyLS1
I currently searching for a replacement for my Truetrac, because it's always acting like a spool. I open it, the 4 upper gears are jammed and all tooth are broke, 4 lower gears are marked but not jammed. And 1 of the 2 big gears also have broken tooths. All done with a bolt-ons LS1 with no more than 6 month with the new rear. So i'm pissed off and i'm looking for a other differential than the Craptrac.

I did some search and I don't know which choose, Locker or Auburn pro series. The Eaton posi is not available for a 9in so the Auburn was my second option, anyone had try the Auburn Pro series? The locker seems to act almost like a spool, locking on light load when turning, turn me off a little bit.

I saw on this board that the axles spline for the truetrac may be different so you need change axles when you install a other posi system, is that true?
The splines are the same. But Moser said the passenger side axle had to be shortened by 9/16" when I went from a Tru-trac to a Trac-loc. This was in their stock width, standard f-body housing.

I don't know if the same is true for the Auburn.

FWIW, I had a locker for a while but took it out and sold it. It was too harsh with the banging and whatnot. The locker is a stout piece but I do way more street driving than drag racing and the benifits did not outweigh the annoyances. I honestly can't recall why I picked the Trac loc over the Auburn Pro. Senior moment I guess.