Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question re: gear oil selection for a Cadillac CTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Question re: gear oil selection for a Cadillac CTS

My daily driver is a 2004 CTS (V6). I've got the car on jackstands to replace the rear axle seals since they're both pissing fluid like crazy. The service manual calls for the following fluid:

Differential Lubricant GL 75W90 G/M P/N United States 12378261, GM P/N Canada 10953455
Neither of those part numbers show up in a GMPartsDirect.com search, but when I search for it online it sounds like people pay $20 per bottle for this stuff.

Since this is my daily driver (in other words, the car I *need* to run) I'm a little hesitant to go to AutoZone and buy my typical Lucas Gear Oil and GM Posi Additive. Am I safe with AutoZone fluids or should I just buy the genuine GM stuff?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use to work for a cadillac dealership as a tech and i have resealed many of these rearends. if we ever ran out of gm fluid we would use other fluids. as long as its 75-90 or 80-90 you will be fine. and if you have limited slip then use an additive.

Quick Reply: Question re: gear oil selection for a Cadillac CTS