Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone ever deform an axle seal when installing it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever deform an axle seal when installing it?

Putting the rear back in my car late saturday night I couldnt find a socket the right size to press in the axle seals. I just taped them in with a hammer. I noticed that the seals didnt look very cilindrical after that. I installed the axles anyway and drove it. Im wondering if this will cause them to wear prematurly? Any comments?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by alamantia
Putting the rear back in my car late saturday night I couldnt find a socket the right size to press in the axle seals. I just taped them in with a hammer. I noticed that the seals didnt look very cilindrical after that. I installed the axles anyway and drove it. Im wondering if this will cause them to wear prematurly? Any comments?
I have always just tapped axle seals in with a hammer, but I also always smear some rtv around where the outer part of the seal meets the axle tube, as a safeguard. I've never had one leak from actual sealing surface after installing via the hammer though.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I dont know where the socket went, stickey fingers in may garage i suppose, Im usualy pretty **** about proccedure and at midnight I was like F-it and just pounded them in by going around and around only to cone to find that the middles were slightly tapered in after all that tapping causing the rubber portions to look a little non cylindrical, soon as I put the axles in they were obvioulsy round though. I guess I will just drive it until the next oil change and inspect them at that time. Good to know that there are others out there.