Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is a noisy rear end a bad rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a noisy rear end a bad rear end?

I apologize if this has been asked multiple times before.

I just swapped out the gears in my 10 bolt to some 410's. The guy that did it is not new at this and told me before hand that there was a 50/50 chance he could get them silent.

Well they are kinda loud. Not crazy loud, but noticeable. Mostly on 5th and
6th gear. It runs great and I am happy with the turnout, but should I be worried about the noise? I am going on a fairly long trip soon and dont want to worry.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, not really. I wouldn't worry about the gear whine, it will just be annoying, that's all.

My Moser 9" starts whining at about 55mph, but that doesn't make it weak... I'm sure it can definitely take a beating! hah
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive setup a few gears in my life, and all are quit. Its all how it setup and the pattern need to be right on and the pinion depth need to be right and back lash, if one of these are not setup right you will have a whinning noise, some can be at a load or at coast. To much noise can cause the rearend to over heat.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 4.10s whine as well. It isn't really bad, but it can get annoying sometimes. I usually just crank the volume on the radio to drone out the noise.

Look at it this way; the gear whine will give you a reason to add a louder exhaust.