Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Likely Causes of Rear Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Likely Causes of Rear Noise?

Hi all,

My dad has a '99 SS and I have an '02 TA (just got it a week ago). We've had a '99 Z28 and another '02 TA in the past. None have made the gawd awful racket that the '99 SS makes from the rear. It's done it ever since my dad got the car in 2000, but lately it's gotten a lot worse. I've been telling dad for years that it's coming from the rear but he always insisted it was 'normal' and there was some sound deadening missing. Finally today I brought my TA over and we jacked them both up and spun the rear tires. TA is quiet, SS makes a grinding noise.

The grinding noise sounds like it's coming from the wheels themselves (on both sides), but I think it's gear noise being transmitted through the axle. When you spin the left tire there's a distinct clunk with every full rotation.

He got the car used and we always suspected someone had put gears in it since it felt peppier than any other 6-speed car we've owned. I'm wondering if they were never installed correctly? What else could it be? I doubt it's axle bearings, but I guess it could be carrier bearings? Is it easier/more cost effective to swap out the whole rear or repair the existing one?

TIA,
Jim
Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So $2,100 later it's fixed.

First they replaced the axle bearings and axles. Still made the awful noise, but the bearings and axles were clearly shot.

Then they replaced the pinion gear and carrier bearings. All fixed. For now.

At $2,100 he was almost all the way to a 12" rear. I think I'll go that route when mine goes bad. It's making noise already.

Jim