Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Worst that could happen with a broken 10-bolt

Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Worst that could happen with a broken 10-bolt

I self admittedly don't know much about the rear ends on these cars except that they are extremely weak. I own a 2002 SS with the stock 10 bolt and 10k miles on the car. The car is going into the shop in about a month for heads/cam/intake and full bolt ons. The original plan was to throw drag radials on the car and use the rest of my budget to do a wet kit and spray 100-150 shot on top of the rest and just wait until the 10 bolt went. However, I figured I would ask the question first, how much can I actually screw up by waiting until it breaks? I will be using the Monster Stg 3 so I would assume it will find that weak link pretty quick especially on DR's. Additionally, if the rear end breaks is there ever an instance where the wheels just lock and the car wont be mobile at all? I will need to at least get the car on a trailer and into a shop. I have also heard about 10 bolts breaking and ruining the trans?

I have been looking at doing the Midwest Chassis 9"

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I can hear your 10 bolt begging for mercy already. Worst thats going to happen is rearend destruction which you will know the second it happens. Thats about it.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Wow I can hear your 10 bolt begging for mercy already. Worst thats going to happen is rearend destruction which you will know the second it happens. Thats about it.
Worst case scenario though would I still be able to roll the car onto a trailer and into a shop to get it up on a lift lol?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it all depends on how it breaks. the rear end could lock up if broken pieces get stuck between the ring and pinion. we've also seen 10 bolts break bad enough that it actually damages the driveshaft and/or transmission.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Restricted User

I had one that just destroyed a 4L60E after the rear took a dump. You have to remember all that torque goes straight to the tranny and creat all kinds of havoc.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The absolute worst thing that could happen from breaking the 10-bolt would be when the ring and pinion breaks. Then it flies into the air and hits an airplane that crashes into a nuclear plant. The nuclear plant then explodes and causes all kinds of catastrophes. Evil zombies run amoke and kill 75% of the population. The survivors, with experience from Left 4 Dead, use their skills with an auto shotgun and pipe bombs to kill them all. Civilization starts to repopulate. 100 years after the fallout clears up people will curse the name of 2002CamaroSS1982 for not buying a new rearend.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Launching!

^ True story. They call it "The Big Bang Theory."
Old 04-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty curious about this also, purchased my car last week, test drive was fine, got back around home and all i hear/ feel is clunk clunk clunk coming from the rear end pretty bad. Car goes into the shop on monday, just went ahead and ordered 3.73's since it will be apart anyway, guy said he went through the rear end about a month ago and added a shim to the stock posi on it and everything was in spec when he re installed it. Sounds like it grenaded but i have no idea yet. Here is a copy/paste of his email.

Hey man. I am really sorry to hear about the rear end. I really have no idea what would have happened. I drove the car to work and back (I work in Van Wert which is 35 miles one way) for about 2 or 3 weeks ,then up to school (in Flint, MI, 180 miles one way) one time and back, and any driving in between there. I know it was put together right because I checked the backlash and everything and all was within spec. I replaced the carrier cross pin, cross pin retainer bolt, the axle c-clips, and put in a shim from speed inc. that re-shims the stock posi units. The spider gears were all in spec and were 100% acceptable to reinstall. I put at least 1,500-2,000 miles on that rebuild and I never had an issue. The only reason that I even touched it was because the axles had too much end play due to posi wear and that is what the speed inc. shim was supposed to fix. I worked for an ACDelco dealership as a mechanic so I have did a few of these in my time there so I know everything was right

So no idea what is going on but i will keep everyone posted. Any ideas on how much this is going to cost me or what the heck happened let me know
Old 04-23-2009, 02:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlag
The absolute worst thing that could happen from breaking the 10-bolt would be when the ring and pinion breaks. Then it flies into the air and hits an airplane that crashes into a nuclear plant. The nuclear plant then explodes and causes all kinds of catastrophes. Evil zombies run amoke and kill 75% of the population. The survivors, with experience from Left 4 Dead, use their skills with an auto shotgun and pipe bombs to kill them all. Civilization starts to repopulate. 100 years after the fallout clears up people will curse the name of 2002CamaroSS1982 for not buying a new rearend.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jetlag
Haha that is good **** right there.....I guess I better just buy a new 9" then so my name will not be cursed for 100 years
Old 04-23-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

It can get real expensive.

My 10-bolt broke and $15k later I had a race car. Is funny how easy it is to get a 9".... and while its pulled apart might as well do full suspension. Then you decide to do a cam, and before you know it you are ordering heads and a fast 90/90.... might as well rebuild the t56... finally you decide to throw a dry kit on there and the nano push system is so cool so you have to have that........

A broken 10 bolt was all the excuse I needed to do H/C/I/N2O. Of course, it was something I had wanted to do for quite some time.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew

My 10-bolt broke and $15k later I had a race car. Is funny how easy it is to get a 9".... and while its pulled apart might as well do full suspension. Then you decide to do a cam, and before you know it you are ordering heads and a fast 90/90.... might as well rebuild the t56... finally you decide to throw a dry kit on there and the nano push system is so cool so you have to have that........

A broken 10 bolt was all the excuse I needed to do H/C/I/N2O. Of course, it was something I had wanted to do for quite some time.
That's how it happens... The rearend was definitely the downward spiral for my car.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by landonew

if that aint the truth im finishing up mine right now. im into it $13,000 before the trans and rear end. but it should be well worth it : )
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 348 Posts

I've went *** backwards. I did heads/cam/FAST, long tubes and true duals, Stage 4 T-56 and full suspension, but I still have a ten bolt. You want to know what can go wrong with a ten bolt? 4 times I have had to get trailered home because I either A) broke a ring and pinion or B) destroyed a carrier. Never broke or even twisted an axle (luckily) and every time I have broke it was on the line. The first time I took it to the track this year, I killed the ring and pinion. It's getting an S60 next month. Don't follow my plan of attack. I wanted to go fast before I actually built the car up. Now it's sitting while I save up money to build it right.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I've went *** backwards. I did heads/cam/FAST, long tubes and true duals, Stage 4 T-56 and full suspension, but I still have a ten bolt. You want to know what can go wrong with a ten bolt? 4 times I have had to get trailered home because I either A) broke a ring and pinion or B) destroyed a carrier. Never broke or even twisted an axle (luckily) and every time I have broke it was on the line. The first time I took it to the track this year, I killed the ring and pinion. It's getting an S60 next month. Don't follow my plan of attack. I wanted to go fast before I actually built the car up. Now it's sitting while I save up money to build it right.
exactly the reason i've not done any go-faster mods to the engine in my car yet (with the exception of a lid/filter, which may add a whole 5HP or so)....i decided that i was going to build up my suspension first to get it within acceptable handling tolerances before adding power. after all, extra power won't do much if you can't plant it to the ground & you keep breaking parts....the final "must-have" things i need for my suspension are a 12-bolt, SFC's and a watts link, then i can start adding power.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Funny that is the route that I am taking lol. I am planning on doing the 9" though in July. So car will roll out with the H/C/I, exhaust and be tuned by July 1 and hopefully by July 30 I will have my 9" just have to baby the 10 bolt until i get the 9" which I know will be much easier said than done
Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Build the car from the back forward and you wont regret it. There is nothing worse than having 500 rwhp and not being able to hook-up/launch/get-on-it because you can't/will-break-something.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the axle breaks when you are shifting in 3rd, then the wheel flys off the car. the wheel is held on by the axle. The axle is connected in the center. Not sure what would happen then, but I am sure there would be sparks.

Search this Thread