Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New alternative to the Truetrac, introducing the lifetime warrantied Wavetrac

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up New alternative to the Truetrac, introducing the lifetime warrantied Wavetrac

http://www.wavetrac.net/index.htm

Moser has been working with a company called Wavetrac in developing a 9” 35 spline posi. Moser has installed them in several test vehicles, and it worked flawlessly at the track with good hard straight launches, and is a dream on the street. The unit itself weighs in @ 14.80 lbs, which is lighter than a 31 spline Truetrac @ 15.75 lbs. Moser has these units in stock and ready to ship. It does require the 3.250” case so any retro fits are looking at not only new axles but a new case. I will be adding them as an option to my Moser 9 inch rears, this unit is $460.00 more than a Truetrac. Bob
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
http://www.wavetrac.net/index.htm

Moser has been working with a company called Wavetrac in developing a 9” 35 spline posi. Moser has installed them in several test vehicles, and it worked flawlessly at the track with good hard straight launches, and is a dream on the street. The unit itself weighs in @ 14.80 lbs, which is lighter than a 31 spline Truetrac @ 15.75 lbs. Moser has these units in stock and ready to ship. It does require the 3.250” case so any retro fits are looking at not only new axles but a new case. I will be adding them as an option to my Moser 9 inch rears, this unit is $460.00 more than a Truetrac. Bob
Wish I had Known a month ago, just built up my Moser 3.250 Alum case, spool and 35 spline strange axles...

Oh well, if I come into some dough, I'll get another center and have 2 I suppose...
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow... i wish i knew about this back in november when i bought my 9 inch.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Is this the same company that built the Black Magic carrier? Looks interesting lets see some M6 customers vids dumping at 5+K RPM running a 9 second pass

If these are finally the carrier to do that I will run nothing else
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cam
Is this the same company that built the Black Magic carrier? Looks interesting lets see some M6 customers vids dumping at 5+K RPM running a 9 second pass

If these are finally the carrier to do that I will run nothing else
Only time will tell, it looks interesting. Bob

Wavetrac® Differential
Wavetrac® At A Glance:

• Innovative:
Patent pending Wavetrac® design automatically improves grip in low traction conditions. This feature is truly innovative and unlike any other torque biasing diff design.

• Customizable:
If desired, the diff’s behavior can be altered in the field to suit your needs.

• Superior Materials
9310 steel gears run in case-hardened billet steel bodies. ARP® fasteners used throughout.

• Maintenance Free
As supplied new, the Wavetrac® differential will perform a lifetime of service without maintenance or rebuilds.

• Limited LIFETIME Warranty:
All Wavetrac® differentials include a transferable, Limited Lifetime Warranty.
WAVETRAC® in Detail:

Enhanced No-Load Bias Ratio via its Wave Design Center Pack

One of the known shortcomings of a typical torque biasing differential is its loss of drive (behaving much like an open diff) under zero or near-zero torque conditions (for example, when there is ‘no-load’ applied through the drivetrain, either at vehicle stationary and/or transition from engine driving vehicle to engine braking and back).

The Wavetrac® differential uses a patent pending design to improve grip in low traction conditions. Precisely engineered, converging/ diverging wave profiles are placed on one side gear and its mating preload hub. As the two side gears rotate relative to each other, each wave surface climbs the other, causing them to move apart. This imparts an increased normal force through the side gears, increasing the bias ratio as a function of load. This increase occurs automatically only when conditions find it necessary, and it ‘reverts’ back to its nominal bias ratio quickly and seamlessly,

maintaining optimal drivability and performance at all times. It’s like having two differentials in one: you get the benefit of a higher bias ratio when needed without detriment to the car’s handling.

Here’s something else you won’t find in any other design:

The Wavetrac® diff’s behavior can be altered in the field to suit your needs. It comes standard with carbon-fiber bias plates for the best all around performance and lifetime durability. Interchangeable plates using materials with different friction coefficients to fine-tune the bias ratio are sold separately.

These bias plates provide a mechanism to tune the response of the differential as a function of applied torque load. The applied torque load manifests itself as an

axial load from the differential pinions into the housing. This axial force is then considered a normal force into the friction plate, and as a function of the effective provide a resistive torque to the rotational motion of the differential pinions. The resistive torque will add to the resistance of relative rotation of all components within the differential. The resistive force, however, is non-uniform since it is a function of the axial load from the differential pinions. The unbalance of the resistive torque will manifest as non-uniform energy absorption within the differential causing a bias ratio.

Designed from a clean sheet, the new Wavetrac® Differential brings current gear technology to the market. Internally, its gear tooth forms are optimized for strength and improved oil film retention over competitive designs. Our gear package is smaller, reducing overall mass, yet is more durable. Attention was also paid to the side gear/axle interface, putting as much material thickness as possible in this critical area - most important when power levels get high.

Each Wavetrac® Differential is crafted from the highest quality materials available. The internal gears are made from high strength 9310 alloy steel. The diff bodies are machined from case hardened steel billet. To complete the package, every Wavetrac® differential is built exclusively using high quality, high strength fasteners from ARP®, the world leader in fastener technology.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Banned

bob,
i heard the true trac has a 3500 rpm warrenty. so if you launch it under that and it breaks they will replace it. does this have one?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 AM
FormerVendor

Thats a pretty rediculous price if it is that much more than a TrueTrac....they arent going to sell many at $800-$900 pricetag.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
bob,
i heard the true trac has a 3500 rpm warrenty. so if you launch it under that and it breaks they will replace it. does this have one?
I don't know how they could tell if you launched your vehicle above 3500 rpm, maybe that is why there is so much space junk up there... First cup of coffee, sorry.

Limited LIFETIME Warranty:
All Wavetrac® differentials include a transferable, Limited Lifetime

I have spec's at the shop on this warranty. Thanks. Bob
Old 05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

That is good to know incase I get sick of my locker. Guys this is alot of money but if you broke a true trac and you had to buy another one because it was not under warranty you would have the same money into your true trac.

Bob do you have any info on the lifetime warranty as far as limitations?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
That is good to know incase I get sick of my locker. Guys this is alot of money but if you broke a true trac and you had to buy another one because it was not under warranty you would have the same money into your true trac.

Bob do you have any info on the lifetime warranty as far as limitations?

Yes indeed:

Wavetrac® Differential Lifetime Warranty:

Autotech Driveline warrants each new Wavetrac® Differential against defects in manufacture, material, workmanship, and wear-out when used in the vehicle application foi which it was originally designed, on any motor vehicle, under any and all operating conditions, including racing, for as long as the original iiutchaser or any subsequent purchaser owns the differential. The registrant must present a copy of this warranty together with a copy of the original receipt to the service outlet or parts store from whom the differential was originally purchased when making a claim for relacèment or repair. All warranty claims submitted must include proof of purchase. Failure to provide proper documentation renders warrnty null and void.
Exclusion from Warranty Coverage: The varranty does not apply outside of North America or to any Wavetrac® Differential which (a) has been improperly installed, installed in vehicles for which it was not designated, (b) has been modified or altered by the actual user or dealer or distributor, (c) has been improperly assembled by the purchaser or his agent, (d) has been operated in Shockproof® oil, or (e) was not sold by Autotech Driveline or through an authorized Autotech Driveline dealer or distributor.
Autotecli Drivelines Obligation: Autotech Drivelines obligation under this warranty is limited to replacement or repair of the defective or worn-out differential at its sole discretion. Autotech Driveline has no obligation to bear any labor or other costs of return, removal and/or installation and will not be liable for any special, incidental, or consequential damages, including loss of use of the vehicle. Some states do not allow the exclusion of limited or incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you.
Warranty Claim Procedures: Contact Autotech Driveline at 29 Journey, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656-3333 USA tel (949) 240-4000 for specific instructions.
Rights of Purchaser: This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

bob so if i sent you the money today. this thing is for sale? lol

also what horse do you think it will hold. i hear of truetrac with 31 spline taking 750. will this with 35spline take 1000 or no?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

bob so if i sent you the money today. this thing is for sale? lol

also what horse do you think it will hold. i hear of truetrac with 31 spline taking 750. will this with 35spline take 1000 or no?

Yes, it is for sale. I recommend the Truetrac for up to 600 rwhp, past that I've always recommended the locker or spool. I don't know what the Wavetrac can handle as far as ultimate horsepower, but with it using 35 spline axles it looks promising. Bob
Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

what will the 35 locker hold?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

what will the 35 locker hold?
I don't know, I haven't heard of anyone breaking one. Bob
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

From Wavetrac - Bob

What’s so different about a Wavetrac®?
Q: Okay, so Wavetrac® has a patent pending design, how does that help me?
A: To best understand how the Wavetrac® is truly different from the other gear differentials on the market, you
first have to understand the problem that the Wavetrac® solves:
Loss of drive during zero or near-zero axle-load conditions. What does this mean? This:
If you lift a wheel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, will NOT power the other wheel.
Why?
All gear LSDs (including Torsen®, Truetrac®, Quaife®, Peloquin, OBX, etc.) work in basically the same manner:
they divide the drive torque between the two axles as evenly as possible, applying drive to each side, up to the
available grip of each tire.
The amount of drive torque one wheel can get over the other is described as the bias ratio, a multiplier of drive
axle torque.
Standard, open differentials have a bias ratio of 1:1. They can only apply as much drive torque as there is available
traction at one wheel. When one wheel loses grip, the total available drive is lost as well (at a 1:1 ratio). All
your power goes out the slipping wheel - along the path of least resistance.
Torque biasing differentials offer an increased bias ratio over an open diff. For example, if a diff has a bias ratio
of 2.5:1, then it can apply drive torque to the wheel with the most traction (gripping wheel) at 2.5 times the traction
limit of the wheel with the least traction (slipping wheel). This is a significant improvement over an open
diff… most of the time.
The problem is that when one tire has LITTLE or NO grip, or zero axle-load, the other wheel gets ZERO
DRIVE, because (basic math here): 2.5 x 0 = 0.
Lift a wheel (or substantially unload a wheel) and you get zero axle-load on that side - that means that during
the time the wheel is unloaded, the typical diff will NOT power the wheel that’s still on the ground. No matter
how high the bias ratio, you get no power to the ground.

Aliso Viejo, California USA, April 24, 2009:
AUTOTECH Driveline is proud to announce the release of its latest Wavetrac® differential application:
56.309.176WK FORD 9 inch 35-SPLINE
Likely the first diff of its kind designed to fit the larger 35 tooth spline axles. Now, you don't have to suffer with
a substandard differential (or none at all!) when building your 35-spline rear end. The Wavetrac® limited slip
will give you two wheel drive without clunky or noisy locking mechanisms. The Wavetrac®'s internal gears are
made from 9310. It's body is machined from billet steel... it's built to last.
The new Wavetrac® is a helical-gear limited-slip differential, but unlike other gear differentials, the Wavetrac®
was designed from a clean sheet using state-of-the-art knowledge and engineering to be a better differential than
any other.
Better technology. Better performance. Better quality.
• Enhanced No-Load Bias Ratio via Special Wave Mechanism
• Changeable Bias Plates allow fine tuning
• Designed & Manufactured in the USA
• Case-Hardened Billet Steel Housings and High Quality 9310 Alloy Steel Gears
• Assembled Exclusively using ARP® High Strength Fasteners
• Limited LIFETIME Warranty
The Wavetrac® Differential will give you quicker acceleration and faster cornering by driving both drive wheels
instead of just one. And, it offers improved no-load performance when compared to other helical gear differentials
on the market.
Wavetrac® differentials have been developed for a selection of popular applications, including:
Acura, Audi, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, BMW, and Volkswagen.
For more information, Contact:
AUTOTECH Driveline
29 Journey, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656-3333 USA
Tel +1.949.362.8700 Fax +1.949.362.8720
info@wavetrac.net
www.wavetrac.net
Old 06-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

^^^^ so if i understand all that right.

a true trac. if i give it gas it will do it best to put equal power to both tires. so if one slips. they both bascily slip

now this will not do that.

also does this mean this will do fine giving it gas on a curve?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM

to bad i would have to change axles also
Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

also does this mean this will do fine giving it gas on a curve?
Good questions, I would think that at some point it would lock up both rear tires when applying gas in a corner. Bob
Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by thechef
to bad i would have to change axles also
No doubt. How much street driving or inter city driving do you do? You may want to just go with a spool. Bob
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

9310 steel?
i dont know much about posi's,
is it the pitch that makes a pro gear prone to wear, or is it the steel?
ive always known the 9310 material to be soft compared to a 8620 material (street gear)
interesting on the longevity of it.

Quick Reply: New alternative to the Truetrac, introducing the lifetime warrantied Wavetrac