Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torque arm noise with Midwest fab 9/Moser 12 bolt/Moser 9"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque arm noise with Midwest fab 9/Moser 12 bolt/Moser 9"

I am trying to decide which rearend to put in my car cause I dont think my 10 bolt will last much longer after the recent motor build, and my main question is this:

Do any of these rear ends have a torque arm that doesnt bang around and make a whole bunch of noise when you are driving??

I have ridden in some cars with a 12 bolt that are fine, and some cars where the torque arm on the 12 bolt bangs around like crazy right under the stick where the front of the torque arm would mount...reeaaalllly loud!! I mainly drive mine on the street and I dont think I will be able to handle listening to what sounds like someone hitting my drivetrain with a hammer every time I am decelerating or going over bumps.

I have never been in a car that has a midwest fab 9 in it and I have no idea if the torque arm that they come with do this or not...but the noise from the arm on the 12 bolt I have heard is something I wont be able to deal with.

I was hoping someone out there might have already encountered this issue and could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DUDER02SS
I am trying to decide which rearend to put in my car cause I dont think my 10 bolt will last much longer after the recent motor build, and my main question is this:

Do any of these rear ends have a torque arm that doesnt bang around and make a whole bunch of noise when you are driving??

I have ridden in some cars with a 12 bolt that are fine, and some cars where the torque arm on the 12 bolt bangs around like crazy right under the stick where the front of the torque arm would mount...reeaaalllly loud!! I mainly drive mine on the street and I dont think I will be able to handle listening to what sounds like someone hitting my drivetrain with a hammer every time I am decelerating or going over bumps.

I have never been in a car that has a midwest fab 9 in it and I have no idea if the torque arm that they come with do this or not...but the noise from the arm on the 12 bolt I have heard is something I wont be able to deal with.

I was hoping someone out there might have already encountered this issue and could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Hello, the banging is coming from the type of torque arm they where using. You can use any rear that you want with any of our torque arms. My suggestion is our full length adjustable arm with our relocation bracket. The bracket takes the torque arm off of the tranny so you don't break the tailshaft. This setup does not make noise. With an aftermarket rear you need to check and make sure that the bolts that attach it to the rearend are tight. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Torque arm noise with Midwest fab 9/Moser 12 bolt/Moser 9"-ta001-small.jpg   Torque arm noise with Midwest fab 9/Moser 12 bolt/Moser 9"-tcc006-small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

i installed a BMR non adj TA in my 2000 TA when i installed my Moser 12 bolt,,,,no noise what so ever (stock tranny mount spot used)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:15 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use the BMR TPU001 Trak Pak on most of our builds where we use either a Moser 12 bolt or a Moser 9 inch. The Trak Pak http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=171 relocates the front mount off the transmission, and is pretty quiet.
The Moser M9 comes with a great torque arm, and mine is fairly quiet, but it is bound to be a little louder as it is more race oriented. Bob
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the chromemoly adjustable torque arm supplied with the 9 inch we build uses a teflon lined Aurora brand heim joint at the front of the arm. the front of the arm is connected to the crossmember with a 4 hole height adjustable pivot link. the pivot link mounts to the crossmember with a Energy Suspension poly bushing. the combo of the teflon lined joint and the poly bushed connecting link isolate most, if not all, of the noise associated with the aftermarket torque arms. I have never had anyone complain about noise from the torque arm with the MCP fabricated 9 inch rearend package. we offer both tunnel mounted and trans xmember mounted versions and is arguably the strongest/lightest design out there.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, the banging is coming from the type of torque arm they where using. You can use any rear that you want with any of our torque arms. My suggestion is our full length adjustable arm with our relocation bracket. The bracket takes the torque arm off of the tranny so you don't break the tailshaft. This setup does not make noise. With an aftermarket rear you need to check and make sure that the bolts that attach it to the rearend are tight. If you have any questions please give me a call.
I figured the torque arm that he was using was probably the issue, not the rear end itself. Thanks for the great info, this difinitely helped!

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
i installed a BMR non adj TA in my 2000 TA when i installed my Moser 12 bolt,,,,no noise what so ever (stock tranny mount spot used)
Awesome, glad to hear that worked out and gives me a little hope that mine will be quiet as well.

Originally Posted by The Trak Pak [url
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=171[/url] relocates the front mount off the transmission, and is pretty quiet.
The Moser M9 comes with a great torque arm, and mine is fairly quiet, but it is bound to be a little louder as it is more race oriented. Bob
I am hoping to keep it as stock sounding (no noise) as possible so this might not work best for me, but thanks for the all the info!

Originally Posted by ssvert99
the chromemoly adjustable torque arm supplied with the 9 inch we build uses a teflon lined Aurora brand heim joint at the front of the arm. the front of the arm is connected to the crossmember with a 4 hole height adjustable pivot link. the pivot link mounts to the crossmember with a Energy Suspension poly bushing. the combo of the teflon lined joint and the poly bushed connecting link isolate most, if not all, of the noise associated with the aftermarket torque arms. I have never had anyone complain about noise from the torque arm with the MCP fabricated 9 inch rearend package. we offer both tunnel mounted and trans xmember mounted versions and is arguably the strongest/lightest design out there.
Thanks! I am leaning towards going with the 9" midwest package so that is great to hear...my next question is would you reccommend going with the tunnel mounted or trans crossmember mounted version and why? any advantages or disadvantages to either setup? I have a 3" dual exhaust set up on the car right now that takes up quite a bit of space, I dont know how much that will effect things.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

I just installed a QP 9" and a BMR torque arm (non-adjustable). I am having problems with it hitting the underside of my car. Is this normal? I plan to beat away at it this weekend, it turns my car into a rear end speaker....
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettett15
I just installed a QP 9" and a BMR torque arm (non-adjustable). I am having problems with it hitting the underside of my car. Is this normal? I plan to beat away at it this weekend, it turns my car into a rear end speaker....
Yep. You need to mash the sheet metal upward with a BFH and a prybar.

Quick Reply: Torque arm noise with Midwest fab 9/Moser 12 bolt/Moser 9"