Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Sudden loud gear noise need help

Old 05-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden loud gear noise need help

So i was on the freeway driving to san diego today when i started to hear a small whine from my gears in the back, anyway as time progressed the noise kept getting louder and louder and now it is insanely loud and i cannot even drive i'm taking it to a local shop here in the morning any idea what it could be? i have the moser 4.56's btw on my 10 bolt.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd be looking at pinion bearing pre-load for starters and do it right quickly before the gears are trashed. Crush sleeves are sketchy and most of the aftermarket companies use cheap seamed crush sleeves which are even more prone to failure. If possible replace with a solid pinion spacer and you wont have to face this again providing the pinion pre-load is your problem which I'm guessing it is.

Its also possible that its a bearing somewhere or your diff fluid leaked out or? Theres a million what ifs so start with a visual and go from there
Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Teching In

yeah i got it towed to a pro gear in san diego today, they are taking it apart and are going to see whats up with it i hope i didn't melt the gears?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

You're in good hands with ProGear, they do great work but are a touch on the pricy side.

At least you'll know it won't blow up on the way home.

Rob (Bad30th)

Search this Thread