Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 inch w/ noise from the locker

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9 inch w/ noise from the locker

I have a Moser 9 inch with 4:11s and a Detroit locker with 35 spine axles in a 00 ta m6. I have a loud noise when i let the clutch out from a dead stop. I noticed about an inch of play left to right in the yoke. I removed the center section and checked the back lash (0.008), I than dissembled the locker to find nothing wrong.

I understand that lockers are nosier, but i didn't expect it to be this bad when going straight. please give me your advice. thank you!!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The play in the yoke is caused by the clearance in the castleations of the locker
components, its normal. Mine doesnt make noise all the time from a stop though. I wonder if you are just experiencing the slack in the diff or maybe the noise isnt coming from the locker? Really, the only time mine is bad from a stop is when I'm in a turn lane, come to a stop in the apex of it, and then take off. Sounds like the diff broke because the bang is so loud.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Always sorta mystifies me to hear so many bringing up how loud their locker is. Dunno if I managed to get quiet ones, different rear suspension designs mask the noise more, or I just had loud enough exhaust. Whatever the case was, I had a difficult time picking out the noise of my lockers over the years.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:49 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, the noise and the play is normal and very common. Bob
Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Unhappy

Thanks for the help!! I can't find a regular posi unit for 35 spines so i might go with 33s. I don't think i can deal with it clunking every time a shift!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone actually try the soft locker? Haven't heard the two side by side or anything but it is supposed to have the strength of a normal locker but some preload built in to make it a good bit quieter.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NEVERTWOFAST
Thanks for the help!! I can't find a regular posi unit for 35 spines so i might go with 33s. I don't think i can deal with it clunking every time a shift!
There's a company called wavetrac that makes a 35 spline diff. that isnt noisy like a locker. They're pricey though. I talked to them at SEMA 2008 and they say it will support 700RWHP and they have a LIFETIME warranty. I assured the guy that if I ever bought one, I'd try out the warranty,LOL! Moser had good things to say about them as well. Very nice piece. I believe EPP is a distributor for them now. I happen to have the brochure right in front of me...... It says that the lockup on them can be adjusted with different bias plates. It's innards look like a combination between a clutch type and true trac posi. I wanted to buy one last year but I chose to upgrade my 9" to a Moser alum bolt thru case....Which reminds me, the other really cool feature about this posi unit is that you dont have to grind the pinion support casting on the center section for clearance like you do on a detroit locker. Saves a lot of PITA grinding and fitting.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

absolutely normal, all the slop in the locker is what I could not stand, The detroit locker was the worst part I ever bought for my car,,,,, I ditched it on ebay for almost 300$ and put a full spool in the car for half that amount, And I drive mine on the street regularly, I run a hard compound tire so that the they dont grip and I can deal with the tire squeel every now and then, and the scrubbing and the complaints the tires give in a tight slow turn, BUT THAT STINKING LOCKER was pure junk Some guys love them and some hate them, I am sure you can guess what camp I am in...

Quick Reply: 9 inch w/ noise from the locker