Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

a 9in narrow quesion, help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a 9in narrow quesion, help

does any body no how much you need to have it narrowed, or what the measurement is on the axle tube from center section on both sides? isnt the passenger side a different length then the driver side tube?

also what is the part number i need from moser for the axle tube ends so i can put my stock disk brakes on?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

each rear is different, you get it narrowed for your specific needs. there isn't a set requirement for narrowing. some people get it narrowed 3 ", some 1 1/2" and some go crazy just outside the housing frame.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Launching!

^Yep. You need to decide on your wheel backspace and width before you measure for your narrowed housing. You can make it whatever total width you want, so long as your wheels tuck right. I'm wanting to say 75" from outside of tire to opposing outside is about as wide as you want with a stock height tire to keep your rubber "tucked" under the car. From there, you can do whatever you want. Like I said earlier, pick out your wheels first and then build the rear to fit.

I used Moser ends on the last one I built, but I used drum brakes. You want to make sure you use a large tube housing with the truck bearing pattern, but as for keeping your discs, I don't know.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...usingends.html

# 7900
Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rudyzturbota
does any body no how much you need to have it narrowed, or what the measurement is on the axle tube from center section on both sides? isnt the passenger side a different length then the driver side tube?

also what is the part number i need from moser for the axle tube ends so i can put my stock disk brakes on?
Depends on the wheel you run, I narrowed mine 4 inches per side, and run a 3.375" backspacing on a 10 inch rim.

However, I hope you arent planning to narrow it yourself if you cant figure out these simple things, and yes the tubes are longer on the passenger side... You cant just slap a housing end on, you need an alignment bar, and several other tools to get this done. Please go to a reputable competant chassis shop. Dont take this wrong, I just dont wanna see you have an accident because of an improper job.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 AM
12 Second Club

The easiest way if your going narrowed is to call moser, however if your wanting narrowed 2" on each side (4" total), just order a rear for a third gen, it all bolts up the same. Mine came with the correct "10 bolt" ends (4 holes top two are slighty wider than the bottom two), brakes bolted on great no issues. Ofcoarse it would probably be just as easy to call them and tell them what car you have and that you want the rear narrowed X amount of inches on each side, really depends on the wheels you want to run.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:04 AM
Launching!

thank you to all, i got this all figured out. a friend of mine has a gig setup to narrow rear ends an can re spline my axles to. by the way this was a 9in i got from a salvage an built every thing up and i cut my brackets off the old 10bolt an welded them back onto the 9in. so far ive only got 690 bucks in the whole rear end. I just cant see spending that kind of money on a built rear end when i can just do it myself. all it takes in knowledge an the will to learn something new. Just dont do it the hard way,lol