Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 bolt vs. Moser 12 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 12 bolt vs. Moser 12 bolt

I am looking into purchasing a 12 bolt in the very near future (next month or so). Anyway what I was wondering was what the major difference in these two was. Such as ease of installment, needs little to no modifications, etc. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:27 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also love to know...
Old 11-16-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed both, and I look at it like this. With the Strange, you have to send a set of brake backing plates to them, but the rearend comes to you complete with the plates/axles already installed and ready to bolt in. With the Moser, it comes with the axles out and you have to put you own baking plates on and then have the bearings pressed, then install them in the housing. It's not hard by any means, but work none the less. The strange housing carry's the same diameter axle tubes as stock, so your stock swaybar bushing clamps will work. They just need to be spaced a bit. The Moser's housing has larger 3" axle tubes, so you have to buy a swaybar kit from BMR or Sphoon. Once again, nothing hard, but something else to add in. I believe that these small details are what make the Strange cost more. If you don't mind doing a small amount of work, the Moser is the way to go. If you just want a pre-assembled unit ready to bolt in, go with the Strange. I choose Moser.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went Strange for ready to bolt in and stock torque arm bolts.Strange also comes with 33 spline axles and solid pinion crush collar which makes them stronger.You have to specify and pay more $$ for Moser to do this.Alot of people have problems with torque arm bolts falling out of the Moser rear.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

I heard that the Moser housing is stronger than the strange housing, is that true? The 3 inch axle tubes would also make it stronger, right? Why can't the stock torque arm bolts be used with the moser?
Old 11-16-2003, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the problem with the Torque arm bolts coming out...nothin a little lock tight wont fix... lol.... as far as the two compared the Moser has a stronger housing than the Strange. Also so far I love my Moser setup. 33 spline axles, 4.11 gears, and all the goodies. It's well worth the money. Good luck with ur install man.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I went Strange for ready to bolt in and stock torque arm bolts.Strange also comes with 33 spline axles and solid pinion crush collar which makes them stronger.You have to specify and pay more $$ for Moser to do this.Alot of people have problems with torque arm bolts falling out of the Moser rear.
Although you have to pay extra for this on the moser, it is still cheaper than the strange. I got everything that was offered when I got my Moser.(33 spline axles, heavy duty 33 spline eaton carrier, 1350 yolk, and the performance rear cover. I still only paid $2300 bucks with shipping of $150 bucks included. When I called strange, the exact same rear speced out at $2700 plus shipping. The Moser housing Torque arm bolts don't go through the housing like the stock unit. Moser sends 4 new bolts with the kit. 2 on top, 2 on bottom. A little lock tite solves backing out problems.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Wow, I can't believe that there was a 500 dollar price difference between the two. Someone told me that the moser housing tolerances aren't as good as the strange housing, which sometimes causes the gears to be noisy. I've heard of people complain of the torque arm not wanting to fit right on the moser?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:19 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually heard the strange made more noise then the moser?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I got my Strange it came with a crush sleeve and 2 piece axle bearings. The Mosers come with a 1 piece axle bearing, that is better for drag racing. I converted my Strange to the 1 piece bearings, and use a solid spacer now. It really doesn't matter beacuse after you beat on them for a while they get louder and louder. This is not a setup problem either. A4 cars seem to do OK with either Moser or Stranges 12 bolts. If you have a strong M6 car, forget about both of these rears and go straight for the 9" with a locker. I will be selling my 12 bolt this spring and getting a 9".

Bruce
Old 11-17-2003, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
When I called strange, the exact same rear speced out at $2700 plus shipping.
When I shopped around, the highest price I found was if bought directly from Strange. Several ls1tech.com sponsors offer it for significantly less. If you watch for Sales and Group Purchases you can find it for even less. I saw the other week where tbyrne had had it for $2359 (included upgraded posi and the aluminum cover) if you ordered online. An fbody shop near me has a regular price of $2,475 which would still be $225 below Strange’s direct price. (Unfortunately I can’t mention their name because I don’t think they are a sponsor but I could send a PM if anyone is interested.)
Old 11-17-2003, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

You guys think the small axle tubes of the strange 12 bolt reduce its strength much. As far as noisy gears goes, I've heard of problems with gear noise with all of the axle choices.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

I called and talked to strange and moser today. I told the guy at moser that I'll be running heads/cam/nitrous and he suggested going with the 9 inch instead of the 12 bolt. The guy said if the car has much over 500 rwhp and sees the track frequently definitely get the ford 9. He also said the durability of the locker is hard to beat if you don't want to run a spool. I was quoted the following from them: moser 9 inch, 35 spling gun drilled and star flanged axles, tapered axle bearings, 4 channel abs setup, detroit locker, nodular iron center section, and 3.50 gears for 2700 shipped to my house.

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt vs. Moser 12 bolt