Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Too much backlash??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Too much backlash??

A friend of mine came over to help me put in my new clutch yesterday and before we removed the driveshaft, he told me it had too much backlash. He estimated that it moved about .25 inches. He asked me if i had an after market rear end, and i told him no... i had a set of 4.10 gears put in may of last year (about 4000 miles ago). He said I should probably take it back to the guy that did it. I feel it would be very rude to take it back to the guy that did it because it was done at his house and i hardly know him. The car drives fine, but should i be really concerned about this? How much backlash should I have?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

backlash should be around .008". The only accurate way of checking this would be to set a dial indicator of the ring, zero it out and move it back and forth.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^thats true, this could be done easily with the cover off and a $10 dial indicator. But your friend may be correct, the driveshaft should turn a little back and forth but not much at all.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take drive shaft off and just tighten pinion nut up a little.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by redhottransgirl
take drive shaft off and just tighten pinion nut up a little.
And what exactly is this supposed to accomplish?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottahavels1
A friend of mine came over to help me put in my new clutch yesterday and before we removed the driveshaft, he told me it had too much backlash. He estimated that it moved about .25 inches. He asked me if i had an after market rear end, and i told him no... i had a set of 4.10 gears put in may of last year (about 4000 miles ago). He said I should probably take it back to the guy that did it. I feel it would be very rude to take it back to the guy that did it because it was done at his house and i hardly know him. The car drives fine, but should i be really concerned about this? How much backlash should I have?

If your friend was just twisting the driveshaft back and forth, that's not a very good way to tell if your gears have too much bl. There could be slop in the ujoints. Plus, you can't really tell when the pinion gear contacts the ring gear without a dial indicator as mentioned before.

Mike

Quick Reply: Too much backlash??