Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

do all 4 series geas humm??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do all 4 series geas humm??

All my buddies told me when i wanted to put some 4.11s in that they will whine. Well i have zero gear whine but only in 6th gear above 60mph i have a humm. Almost a vibration. It isnt in the tranny, i just had it out and rebuilt the week after i put the gears in. I have turned the driveshaft 180* Today i pulled the rear cover off to check the wear pattern. They are perfect, imo better that the 3.73s that came with the rear. So i am going to try some 80w140 synthetic fluid and see if that changes it at all. I know a guy that has a dana 60 and 4.56s and was told his sounds the same in the upper gears. Is this common. I love the gears, but the noise really pisses me off. They have about 550 miles on them. The pinion bearings are still a little tight, so i am going to give it some more time. What do you all think??
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

well, the heavier oil helped alot it seems. I just had a min. to take it out and it was tons quieter. I will have to go out tonite on a good road and see for sure. The road i was on just now is sealcoat, so not a good test road for noise, but i did notice it before on that road.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

well, on a good road i want to say that 75-80% of the humm in 6th gear is gone. I will give it another 500 miles and see what happens. Glad i tried it instead of putting the 3.73s back in, for now anyway.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 3.50s have some gear noise.... it's all in the install, but even then it's not guaranteed to be quiet
Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you bought used gears then they were already set in a certain pattern and after being put into your rear end, the pattern has changed. also, motive and richmond gears, whether you buy them new or not, have about a 50% chance of making noise even with a good install. in any case, does the performance side out weigh the noise they make? i thought so lol
Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

the gears are brand new. I ordered them right from strange (us gear) so they should have been the same ones that they would put in a rear before they ship it out. I didnt use the solid pinion spacer that was in the 3.73s though. One of the shims was screwed up from strange, i didnt have any new shims, and no pinion depth checker to set it up properly. Just used a crush sleeve, and that has not moved at all. It was def not pinion bearing noise.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

It is nearly impossible to get a 4.xx gear set completely quiet in a 10-bolt. It's easier with a 12-bolt, but still not guaranteed. The teeth are so small on the ring gear that unless the setup is 100% perfect (i.e. machine perfect), they'll whine at least somewhat. Degree of whine depends on gear brand (you got good ones, in that case) and skill of the setup tech.

Proper break-in period (first 500-1000 miles) on these gears is CRUCIAL. After break-in period, your ring and pinion have meshed together, and whatever sound you get then is the sound you'll end up with until you change gears.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

yea, i knew that going into it. I am just a perfectionist and it bothers me. I have set up alot of rears before and never had a ounce of noise, mostly trucks though. The gear pattern looks fantastic, imo better than the 3.73s that came in the rear new. Those were running off the end of the pinion. We will see what another 500 or so miles does. The thicker lube makes it tons more livable.