Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tackling 9" Install-Any suggestions to make installation easier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tackling 9" Install-Any suggestions to make installation easier?

the car 02 SS M6

ordering a 9" this week and plan to install it myself to save money. are there any issues you guys that have installed one before have ran into i should be aware of? any problems with parking break reconnection, brake lines or anything? any suggestions will be greatly appreaciated! thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing
Old 07-21-2009, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No different than any other rearend.

Pretty much the reverse of stock... You can use 3" exhaust clamps from AutoZone for the sway bar... zip ties to hold down the brake lines...
Old 07-21-2009, 04:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I have step by step directions at this link. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145 Bob
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that the rear of the 9" may bang into the floorpan if the car is lowered (or, sometimes, even at stock height). The recommended fix is to bang that area of floorpan a bit out of the way with a pry bar or big hammer. Couldn't find that tip on EPP's link, but I'm sure Bob will concur.

Other than that, just normal stuff. Follow the recommended break-in procedure, change the gear oil after the first 500-1000 miles, etc.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcws6
I've heard that the rear of the 9" may bang into the floorpan if the car is lowered (or, sometimes, even at stock height). The recommended fix is to bang that area of floorpan a bit out of the way with a pry bar or big hammer. Couldn't find that tip on EPP's link, but I'm sure Bob will concur.
I let me car do that on it's own.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jcws6

Other than that, just normal stuff. Follow the recommended break-in procedure, change the gear oil after the first 500-1000 miles, etc.
The torque arm bracket is what typically causes the clearance problem for us. With the car jacked up by the rear, so the rear is in the position it would be when driven, we take a pry bar and wedge it into the spot where the sheetmetal is touching the bracket. Prying the sheetmetal away is easy to do and if done right away, the rear will never wear a hole through the sheetmetal.
FWI: The Moser M9 (fabricated rear) http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324 is designed totally different, and will not rub even on lowered cars. Bob