Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to tell if the posi is shot...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to tell if the posi is shot...

I havent pulled the cover off yet but i'm pretty sure the gears are busted. Busted a rear u-joint and after replacing it tried to drive the car. You can put it in gear, it revz, the speedo moves, but the car dont budge. You can hear the DS turning so i'm pretty sure the gears are shot.

Question is, when i was putting the DS back in the car, the wheels turned like they should if the posi was working. you could hold one side and it would hole the other while trying to turn them.

does this sound like the posi is still intact? It does make a loud clunk when you roll the car.

Any guesses?
Old 11-18-2003, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

what sucks is that the rear is prolly only 1- 1 1/2 months old and has 6 passes on it.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the driveshaft turns but the wheels don't, you probably broke the pinion. If you sheared a few teeth off the ring, it would probably make noise or 'try' to turn the wheels. I suppose you could have broken both axles too, but I doubt it.

If you rotate one wheel and the other wheel turns too, the posi is probably okay.

I'm no expert, but that's what I'd say.

Dope
Old 11-18-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

well i have the 33spline axles. It does tunr like it should. just wont move the car. somebody also suggested that the ring gear bolts could have broken. I'm not familiar with rears so i dont know.