Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What to do?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do?

I have a 2001 a4 ws6 with a custom y and flowmasters, TBBP, and a lid. My rear has been making a clicking noise from the passenger side almost like it has a locker in it (but we all know it doesn't) for some time now. Recently it has started whistling with the clicking after driving for a little while. The clicking noise is at its worst when turning left. Also it has moments under heavy throttle that it will pop/thud twice and its solid enough to make me believe the rear is "coming out".

What needs to be replaced?

Can I get away with axles or do I need to dig deeper?

Thanks Keith
Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to tell ya, that dont sound like an axle problem, sounds more like an issue with the carrier, depending on which one you have, could be many different things. I would definately pull the rear cover and have a good look, if you break something in there it will disable the car wherever it happens at. Not so bad if you are pulling out of your driveway, but when you are in the hammer lane on the interstate after flogging it to pass someone, then its not so cool.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

By carrier you mean pos right? How do I tell which one I have?
What potential problems do I face when pulling the cover off?
Also what should I look for after removing the cover?

Last edited by 2001BlkWS6; 07-27-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Teching In

same exact problem i just had 2 weeks ago!

i took off my cover and there was little pieces of metal on the bottom and metal shards everywhere. and they all went through all the gears in the entire rear end and just ate everything up.. nothing was salvageable besides the rear end itself but even that needed to be flushed out to be reused.

goodluck.

edit: the fluid itself had so much metal shardings in it which is what ate up the gears
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

I haven't had time to take it off yet. Im planning on doing that this friday. I'm afraid I'll find the same thing you did.

I have another 10 bolt lined up to purchase if indeed I need it.
It came out of a 2000 model and has 3.42 gears.
Of course my stock a4 is tuned to 3.23. About how much should it cost me to get it tuned up to 3.42's and is there any other steps involved in a swap other than the swap itself?

Search this Thread