Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

strange noise from rearend after gear install

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default strange noise from rearend after gear install

hey, ever since i installed my gears(4:10) there has been a strange noice coming from the rearend. its not the humming of the gears, i have aobut 400 miles on them now. it is only when i am coasting or not on the gas, i can hear a noise that sounds like i can hear the axle spinning on the passenger side. under power it is fine and makes no noise. i already checked my gear fluid and changed it and everything looked good in there. i know that my passenger side brake is holding up a little and i didnt know if this could be making the posi make noise? and if it was the axle bearing wouldnt i hear the noise all the time?
thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your gear pattern is not right...usually will hear the whine more when you let up on the gas. Also check your pinion pre-load didn't change, shake the drive shaft right near the yoke to see if there is excessive play.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

could be a lot of things, 4.10s are known to be noisy though so......
Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the guy that helped me do my gears checked them out when i changed the fluid and said everything looked good. its not a gear hum tho, its only the left side and not all the time

Quick Reply: strange noise from rearend after gear install