Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question about Torsent install

Old 11-21-2003, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about Torsent install

I'm actually looking to put this in a different car, a Merkur XR4Ti, if any of you know what that is. Regardless, it fits the pumpkin, I'm just going to have to have some axle stubshafts made for it.

The question I have is this - I konw the axles used with the Torsens are internally retained with C-clips. But, I can't figure out how they are installed in this diff. Do the axles get inserted too far in by a half inch or so, clipped, then pulled back out before installing the center retainer bar? THat is about the only thing that makes sense, but I don't recall having ever seen a rear end where teh axles didn't "bottom out" where they were supposed to stay. Granted, most of my previous experience was with a BOP style 8.2" (in a 67 GTO), but I can't fathom an axle being allowed to go in too far, and necessitate being locked from moving out AND in???

If anyone has any pictures they could link, I'd be most appreciative.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have it exactly right, there's a center bar that runs through the posi housing that is held in place by a single bolt. To pull them out you just take the bolt out tap the center bar out and then push the axles into the housing were the c-clips will fall off.

Search this Thread