Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone want to verify my gear paint marks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone want to verify my gear paint marks?

I feel pretty good about them, but feel better with another opinion. My first time setting up gears, did them by myself.

gm 10 bolt, installed eaton diff with used GM gears of 15kmiles after my stock ring/pinion blew apart. Have backlash set to .008", and will preload carrier a little more if deemed final.

I could also take better pics, but hopefully someone's trained eye can verify my setup. I loaded the ring gear and drove the pinion to get the marks.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. hopefully anyone reading doesn't make the same mistake as me, don't try to tap the abs reluctor ring on, or at least I couldnt get it to go after hours of trying. You have to remove the ring gear, and drive it on the with ring gear bolts. That would have saved me like 3 hours of screwing around
Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is really hard to judge with all that damn white marker paint and the gears already being worn and shiny. Honestly from what I can tell it looks to be okay. Can you get me a pic a little further away like about a 10-12 inches back from the pattern. This is why I always use yellow even being right there its easier to see.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Launching!

I'm having a tough time getting non-blurry pics, but here is one.

I have this Prussian Blue stuff that i got from napa, hopefully its better, but really its my photography that sucks. Anyway, what do you think of my pinion depth? Drive side looks great to me, but maybe my coast needs to come in a bit. Really dont want to play with pinion shims, I feel like i'm so close to wrapping this project up.

Last edited by bigshoe; 08-23-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would run it, if anything the pinion looks just a tad deep in the housing to me but it would need much. What did you use to set the preload on your pinion? I usually set used gears up just a little tighter than if they were new.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Launching!

When you say the pinion is a tad deep, you say that because the coast pattern is close to the top of the teeth is that right? I imagine its fine, just a bit weaker than ideal?

For setting pinion preload, i went by feel, and its pretty tight right now imo. I tried to borrow a small beam style torque wrench, but noone has them. With my clicker, and everything removed (no carrier, no pinion seal) I'm around 20 in lbs, and it feels pretty tight to spin. With the yoke set in there, if I flick it, it does not keep spinning at all. I figured it will break in and be good. All new bearings installed.

Anyway, i'm sick of working on this, and am gonna install it now, need to get this car going. Changing pinion shims would be a huge pita right now, I dont have a splitter, and it may damage the bearing also.

Hopefully i'm not settling for a subpar installation
Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the install will be okay as far as setup, may be a tad noisy on decel but probably liveable. As for the preload that is suppose to be 20-25 inch lbs of rotational resistance, not torqued to 20 inch pounds. You either need to have a inch lb wrench with a gauge that has a needle or really know what your feeling for. It should at least make almost a full revolution or a little more when you give it a good whirl with your hand. Sounds like yours is way too tight and gonna eat those pinion bearings when you go down the road. There is not a whole lot of wear in for a conical bearing they just fail if too tight.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

IMO 20-25 inch/pounds doesn't "whirl" much at all.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually lightly sand the pinion gear so the bearing slides on and off (of course working in a machine shop helps), that way you can add/remove shims as needed. When I do mine, I measure it without any shims the first time then add shims accordingly. Or you can use the ones that go under the race.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That pattern is perfect for a used gear set. I would not attempt to change it.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
I usually lightly sand the pinion gear so the bearing slides on and off (of course working in a machine shop helps), that way you can add/remove shims as needed. When I do mine, I measure it without any shims the first time then add shims accordingly. Or you can use the ones that go under the race.
I use a new pinion bearing and sand that, keep it for a setup tool.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Launching!

I'm keeping the old bearings, and considered turning them into setup tools in the future, but of course they are worn, and may not be a good representation of a new bearing.

Anyway, thanks for all your help, the car drives incredible, still havent floored it yet, but its absolutely silent, smooth, and solid. Have over 120 miles on it so far.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to verify my gear paint marks?