Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wish me luck, guys, I'm goin' in...GEAR SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Wish me luck, guys, I'm goin' in...GEAR SWAP

Takin' the plung from 3.55 to 3.90 (Ford 8.8). Will need some comments regarding gear wipe pattern & break in proceedure. Will post up pics when the time comes.

Here we go.......
Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck, just take your time and you'll be fine. I did my first set in an 8.5 10 bolt and they were quiet. Tried my second time on a 9 inch and got a little cocky i guess because they whined like crazy.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

How is measuring the pinion depth from a machined surface on the housing or bearing race any different from measuring the thickness of the shim pack & pinion head that was in the housing & then repeating that thickness on the new pinion/shimpack assembly? I meaured the depth w/ a depth checker & then measured the thickness (pinion head/shim pack) & then set the thickness the same on the new pinion & it equaled the same depth as was checked.

Follow up EDIT:
Yes, thickness including shim pack from pinion to pinion did equal the same pinion depth & was correct on my Ford 8.8.

Pumpkin assembly is done & gear pattern looks good according to the Moser reference that cam w/ the gears. Just need to load the pumpkin, axles, drive shaft & remount brakes & wheels & it'll be done & ready to test after filling. Turned out to be not such a big deal.

Last edited by LS1-450; 08-27-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Updated this a couple of days ago. Although, Edits don't bump threads up. So, test drove & she feels good, no whine...etc.. Am in the process of running the 500 mile break in period.

I'd say to anyone who does alot of their own stuff (cam swaps, trans, clutch kinda stuff) a rear end gear swap isn't that big of a deal. I had always avoided it, thinking that getting the pinion shiming correct was gonna be too much hassle. As long as you have a loose fitting test pinion bearing for shim set up, it's doable. Can't wait to hammer on the new 3.90.