Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Low fluid or something worse? (10 bolt stocker)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low fluid or something worse? (10 bolt stocker)

Yes, I did some searching, but found no clear answer.

I'm noticing what sounds like extra friction noise as I drive that doesn't seem to be anywhere specific (exhaust makes it hard to pinpoint some stuff). Just the same sort of sound you expect if you're grinding out a rotor with a worn out brake pad. The rear end whines a bit, but always has. Just last weekend it was pointed out to me while my car was getting exhaust work done that my axle seals were leaking.

Last work done: https://ls1tech.com/forums/5791020-post53.html (~3 years ago, most bearings, seals, and right rear axle replaced)

Given that leakage, I'm wondering if this is symptomatic of low fluid level and just how critical this is. I have to drive this car to Virginia and back (live in SC) next weekend and I'm wondering if I can just do a check/add of fluid or if I should skip that and be making a panic call to my local chevy dealer for a Saturday appointment. It's nigh impossible for me to take weekday time next week to get this car to my rear-end guy.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the noise change when you trun the car from side to side, is at a specific spped or all the time? Certainly you should have the rear end fluid checked.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Well, the differential was full. The fluid looked a little worn, but it has been in there for 40k miles. The downer is that the right side axle seal is definitely leaking. It's getting onto the brake calipers, and is likely a symptom of something worse.

This one will either go to my rear-end guy or the dealership. Not sure yet.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

So I managed to get it to my rear-end guy today.

They agreed with me on the axle seal leakage and pulled the rear end apart. There was no obvious damage to the seal, no damage to the axle, and the bearings were fine so we left them. I have a new seal, new additive (Ford), and a diff full of Mystik JT-7 80W140 (which these guys swore by, and this guy has been working gears and rear ends for 36 years).

The car feels a little less rough rolling down the road and I'm not leaking at the axle any more. $135 for that work.