Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need opinions on rear end noise from a car I'm considering

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need opinions on rear end noise from a car I'm considering

Guys,

I went to check out an '01 WS6 yesterday that I was fully intending on buying until I got it out for a test drive. It has 80k miles, and is bone stock. I noticed noise coming from the rear as soon as I pulled away...sounded like a moaning sound, and pretty distinct at that. As I got to about 40mph, it got higher pitched and very audible...loud, actually, and then got even higher pitched and actually a little quieter as I got to highway speeds. As you slow down to a stop (5mph or so), you can really hear a growling sound, almost Wah-wah-wah that slows with the vehicle speed. The moaning/whining sound is most noticeable on acceleration and holding steady speed, and seemed to be quieter when I let off the gas.

Is the rear end toast? Need bearings? Could I throw new gears and a rebuild kit in and call it good? Could it be a wheel issue instead? The car has brand new tires on it and was balanced/aligned when they were installed. I couldn't afford a 12 bolt right now, and I would consider another used 10 bolt, but I live in Alaska and I'd have to sell a lung to pay the shipping. I'm mechanically inclined, and would dive right in to a rear-end rebuild if it's doable to save the money of having a pro rebuild it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:14 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't waste money on another 10 bolt... Hence why my car has sat until I order my 9" within the next week (I hope). I would talk the guy down on the price and get a 9" with the savings...
Old 09-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IWGF
I would talk the guy down on the price and get a 9" with the savings...
Agreed!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If you just need to keep the car running then yes you can replace all bearings and seals in the rear end yourself for about $125 and a days worth of work. The 10 bolts are very simple to work on, all you have to do is read up on them if you have never done a rear end before.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:50 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

That's what I may do then. I know I'd like to put a 9 inch or 12 bolt in, but it's just not realistic right now. If I can rebuild the 10 bolt, then that might buy me some time.

Does the sound I'm describing sound like the rear for sure? Just want to make sure I'm not misdiagnosing it.