Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gonna replace pinion seal...what sealant on splines?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gonna replace pinion seal...what sealant on splines?

Ok after searching I think I am confident enough to attempt replacing my pinion seal. One question I have though is that I have read about people putting silicone on the splines of the pinion before putting on the yoke and also sealant on the washer before tightening the nut. My question is what kind of sealant do you recommend? I have "Permatex The Right Stuff" sitting around but I'm not sure if something that hardens up like that is suitable for the pinion or if there is another sealant you guys are using.

Also I'm gonna be replacing u joints at the same time. This may be a dumb question but should I put the jackstands on the axle or on the frame and let the rear end hang down to replac pinion seal and u joints?

Last edited by porksoda; 09-19-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need sealant on the splines but you do need a new crush collar, an inch pound torque wrench, and way to hold the yoke while you tighten. Also put sealant on the outside of the seal before installing.

I like to have jack stands under the body and the raise or lower the axle as necessary for clearance while you work.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read the instructions for measuring my new driveshaft from PST, it said to NEVER let the rear hang suspended by itself... Jackstands on the rear.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA! Too late. I already knocked it out and used Permatex #2 non hardening sealant. I put it on the splines, around the seal where it seats in the housing, and behind the washer when I tightened the nut. As for now it leaks nothing at all! Not even seeping anything. Before it used to just be moist back there and never dripped. Now it doesn't even do that!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good job!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gonna replace pinion seal...what sealant on splines?