Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

sounds like i have a supercharger. but i don't

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like i have a supercharger. but i don't

Guys maybe yall can answer my question. Just recently i started hearing a wine coming from somewhere. i can only hear it when i have my window rolled down and my radio off. it sounds like a cobra mustang supercharger only alot less loud. the reason i am posting it here is because i think it could be something in my drive train, maybe? the only mods i have on the car besides the engine mods are BMR ajustable lower control arms, and adj panhard rod, also 17-11 315's, and 17-9.5 275's. And drilled and slotted rotors and ebc pads. Thanks alot for ya'lls help.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
wrencher

Is it coming from the rear of the car, possibly the differential?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

If you think it is coming from the front of the car check the power steering fluid level. I know it sounds stupid, but my car started to whine a bit and i finally realized the power steering level was low. If its coming from the rear of the car, its probably the rear end, try changing the fluid if you haven't done it yet.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rangerob
Guys maybe yall can answer my question. Just recently i started hearing a wine coming from somewhere. i can only hear it when i have my window rolled down and my radio off. it sounds like a cobra mustang supercharger only alot less loud. the reason i am posting it here is because i think it could be something in my drive train, maybe? the only mods i have on the car besides the engine mods are BMR ajustable lower control arms, and adj panhard rod, also 17-11 315's, and 17-9.5 275's. And drilled and slotted rotors and ebc pads. Thanks alot for ya'lls help.
if you are running 315 nittos and lca on a stock rear then it might be the rear, if not expect it in the future.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:38 AM
TECH Veteran

It might be your power steering pump. Because one time I was driving down the highway and the was a dead deer in the middle of the road my car went right over it. Next thing I know there is smoke coming from my engine and my steering wheel is hard to turn. I stopped and checked I had no power steering fluid in the pump. I drove it home about 2 miles with out fluid. The problem was the deer had hit those two lines on the bottom of the car near the airdam that hold the power steering fluid and it spilt every where. I drove home with no fluid. When I replaced the lines and put new fluid there was this loud whinning coming from the pump. So I guess something might have happen to the pump running it home with out fluid. So I think it might be your pump or belts.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

my car started whining like you mentioned and got loud enough that i could hear it over my radio and exhaust. i then came to find out later that i shattered a bearing in my rear end. so be carefull with that what ever you do and dont let it go on like that very long. just my .02
Old 12-06-2003, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

I have been told it is a carrier bearing beginning to fail. Does it only happen when you punch it down and go to WOT no matter what speed you are at?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
It might be your power steering pump. Because one time I was driving down the highway and the was a dead deer in the middle of the road my car went right over it. Next thing I know there is smoke coming from my engine and my steering wheel is hard to turn. I stopped and checked I had no power steering fluid in the pump. I drove it home about 2 miles with out fluid. The problem was the deer had hit those two lines on the bottom of the car near the airdam that hold the power steering fluid and it spilt every where. I drove home with no fluid. When I replaced the lines and put new fluid there was this loud whinning coming from the pump. So I guess something might have happen to the pump running it home with out fluid. So I think it might be your pump or belts.
damn man, you just drive over dead deer? if it was a truck or something i wouldnt be that surprised but to a nice little sports car that just abuse.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2_wacko, That must have been crazy. I can picture my camaro running *into* a dead deer, but not *over* the deer! Did you catch some airtime?
You must be wacko, using dead animals as ramps in your spare time. Evil Kanevil didn't even do that! OK, I'm done poking fun at your trauma, sorry. That does suck about your ride being messed up.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Well it was at night and I have those Xenon Blue headlights and at night they do not light the road up at all. I was going about 80 mph and I suddenly saw the deer in the middle of the road. I did not swerve because I knew I would ruin my suspension if the tire hit it. So I tried to go over it but camaros are low not like trucks. Good thing I got the power steering pump lines fixed. And replaced the fluid. But it makes that whinning noise when it reves up. I think its because I drove it about 2 miles to my house from the incident without fluid. I still dont know what the whinning is I know its from the pump. Skippytheloon I am from westtexas I see you are to you should know a little about dear. Hear in far west texas there is whole lot.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to give you an idea of where I stand: deer lease is 20 minutes away, so I eat venicin as often as beef, I live in the middle of a cotton field and shoot the pidgeons off the barn when bored. Wait, that makes me sound like a redneck.
Luckily, I know more about hitting those giant jackrabbits than deer.
My sister totaled her blazer on a ten pointer (at 80mph) two years ago and now has a phobia of county roads at nightime (we didn't mount that one )
These cars are just so low, I just would've thought one would go through the deer instead of over it.
2_Wacko, I'm curious what city are you in out here.