Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I wrecked my Z this morning.... need a new rear.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I wrecked my Z this morning.... need a new rear.

I hit a slick spot in the road "because of it raining" on my way home from work at 4am. It got sideways, went off the road, over a colvert and in to the edge of some woods. Not much body work to do but the driverside axle snaped. It hit really hard and I don't want to take a chance on just replacing the axle and the rest of the rear be no good. Any good opinions or things to consider because I'm sick.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

I would at the very least also replace the Panhard Rod. An aftermarket Panhard rod is affordable. Check the Panhard rod body bracket for any bending. Replacing the rear is what I would do also. We've repaired similar problems with just a new axle and bearing with about a 70% success rate. You may need caliper mounting parts also. If you do go rear shopping find one with brakes still attached.

It could be worse, the whole rear quarter could be smashed in. You were lucky, lesson learned, now you have a T-shirt like one of mine.

Vernon
Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Well if youve got insurance and a low deductible, you might be able to make a claim and use the money to get a bigger rear. When someone rear ended me the insurance company said they would pay $1000+/- for a used 10bolt and to have it installed. If I would have had the money to get a 12 or 9" I would have just taken the cash. Just thought Id throw that out there for you.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I only have liability insurance so its all on me. I'm gonna get a small loan of about $1500ish and do my best to replace everything with that. I'm gonna do a better look over and under of the car and make sure that I haven't missed anything. Anyother suggestions?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pretty much all you can do, luckily parts are cheap for these cars. Post up some pics when you get a chance. Take a look at the points where the control arms attach to body as well as panhard. Look for any buckled floorpans.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Will do. I'll also try to get some pics posted tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Well after my two days off from work....I should have my Z on the road tomorrow. I had to replace the driverside control arm....th panhard bar... and the complete rearend because the driver side axel housing was busted as well as the axel. I bought another wheel to replace the one that was busted. As far as body work.... both rockers are crushed.... few dents in pass. side rear quarter and the driverside rear quarter has to be pulled out about 2 inches at the door. I will post pics mid day tomorrow. Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

Man.. I was about to donate a 10 bolt to you... glad its all up and running.

Search this Thread