Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Beginning Pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beginning Pinion angle

Hey guys here is the issue, I put on a aftermarket torque arm and was wondering what the stock pinion angle setting is. I have read up on how to adjust it to get it with in -2 but if my pinion angle changed (say I was doing it and the jackstand wasn't secure or just starting off the stock torque arm was bent etc etc) from stock and had a different angle when I put it on would it matter if it was in fact different or would any setting be fine as long as the driveshaft and the pinion are at -2 or whatever the person's preference is?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set it at -3.5 degrees and thank me later!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure what you're saying about if things changed. If you are swapping out torque arms and setting the pinion angle, what does it matter if things weren't on before? Just put the new arm in there and set it at -1 or -2 like manufacturers recommend. Remember it has to be with the suspension loaded (sitting on the ground or at ride height) when setting the pinion angle.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

okay to clarify what I am asking I am talking about the pinion itself. Say you are at the drag strip haven't installed anything or messed with any rearend components and snapped your torque arm and driveshaft and your pinion angle changes. What angle would you put it at to be close to stock not the driveshaft and pinion angles. I just want to know to stock degree of the pinion.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

-1,-2..

If it's off, it will start to hum at highway or upper speeds and you'll know it needs changed.