Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another "which rear to get" thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "which rear to get" thread

I've been reading through many of the threads on the first 3 pages of this section for the past couple hours, but I still don't know exactly what I should get.

I have a 99 TA, M6, non-tcs, mainly stock except for exhaust and LS7 clutch kit. I also had the trans rebuilt by SSI with the Stage 1A rebuild package.

I am ready to purchase a new rear now. The car will see some top end engine upgrades eventually, but will not exceed 500HP. I drive the car on nice days during the summer, say 4 days a week.
It will get some track time maybe 6 times a year. When I do the suspension, it will get lowered about an inch or so.

Here's a couple things that I know I want/need:

3 channel
4.10 or 11 gear

Things I'm not sure about:

Spool ??? - Based on the reading I've done, it's probably my best option, but I'm not sure.

Torque Arm ?
Driveshaft ?
Relocation Brackets ?
Back brace ?
Wheel stud length ?

Please help me figure this all out!!!

Last edited by Sully; 10-21-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

I'm debating the same thing at the moment. Broke my stock rear on Saturday at the track. I was thinking about a spool also. As long as the roads are dry, you're ok. I'll probably end of with a 12 bolt, Detriot Locker and 3.73's. I started reading a few bad stories about TruTrac's.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sully

Spool ??? - Based on the reading I've done, it's probably my best option, but I'm not sure.
Not recommended or desireable on a street driven car unless you like to chirp around corners alot, and have more wear on the rear tires than you'd normally have.

Torque Arm ?
Driveshaft ?
Relocation Brackets ?
Back brace ?
Wheel stud length ?

As to the rest, what's your goal? Some of what you're looking for depends on other components used, like wheel stud length...what rim you using? I doubt you'd need a back brace at the power level you're talking about, especially not if you go with a 9" Ford. Relocation brackets...are you planning to tub it?

You get the idea.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Not recommended or desireable on a street driven car unless you like to chirp around corners alot, and have more wear on the rear tires than you'd normally have.
Ok, if not spool, then what?

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
As to the rest, what's your goal? Some of what you're looking for depends on other components used, like wheel stud length...what rim you using? I doubt you'd need a back brace at the power level you're talking about, especially not if you go with a 9" Ford. Relocation brackets...are you planning to tub it?

You get the idea.
This is what I'm trying to figure out. How do I know if I need this extra stuff?

Stud Length - I don't know what rim I'll use. Right now I'm running corvette replicas on stock studs. I might change them at some point. I might not. If I do, I'll probably stay with something that will fit stock studs. Is that the only reason for getting longer studs?

Back Brace - Not sure what it is or what it's for? From what you're saying, I'm guessing I wouldn't be launching hard enough to need it?

Relocation Brackets - I've seen people with non-tubbed cars using them. So, why do I or don't I need them? What's the purpose?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
I'm debating the same thing at the moment. Broke my stock rear on Saturday at the track. I was thinking about a spool also. As long as the roads are dry, you're ok. I'll probably end of with a 12 bolt, Detriot Locker and 3.73's. I started reading a few bad stories about TruTrac's.
I've read way too many threads about the 12 bolt being too noisy. I am doubting I'll go with a 12 bolt. But I don't know yet for sure.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

I've been reading through many of the threads on the first 3 pages of this section for the past couple hours, but I still don't know exactly what I should get.

I have a 99 TA, M6, non-tcs, mainly stock except for exhaust and LS7 clutch kit. I also had the trans rebuilt by SSI with the Stage 1A rebuild package.

I am ready to purchase a new rear now. The car will see some top end engine upgrades eventually, but will not exceed 500HP. I drive the car on nice days during the summer, say 4 days a week.
It will get some track time maybe 6 times a year. When I do the suspension, it will get lowered about an inch or so.

Here's a couple things that I know I want/need:

3 channel
4.10 or 11 gear

Torque Arm ?
Driveshaft ?
Relocation Brackets ?
Back brace ?
Wheel stud length ?

I take it you didn't want the BS that goes along with posting this on CR?

Here's my take on it, a spool is not very street friendly, neither is a locker for that matter, look at the detroit tru-trac it's much stronger then stock and operates much like stock. Next, torque arm unless you're going to become more of a strip car I wouldn't want anything more then an adjustable stock style torque arm, and all popular rear ends will accomadate this nicely, ecept the M9 of course. Driveshaft would be a good upgrade, but not neccesary on a 12 bolt just the u-joint. On either the 9" or S60 it will have to be shorted or replaced. Relocation bracket IMO are almost a must, they can aid in traction at any level, but are a big must when lowering a car to regain the lost angle of the LCAs. A back brace is for extra strength I seriously doubt would be worth the expense in your case. Wheel stud length shouldn't be of much concern for you, and as you go faster at the track or with certain rims would require longer studs. This IMO would be a waste and is easily changed later if your needs change.

Personally I'd go with a 12 bolt as the 9" and S60 will weight more and rob more power for some extra stregth that you prabably won't need. All are nice rear ends however, and would do what you need. IMHO at the power levels you're at unless you plan to beat the ever lovin **** out of your car the 12 bolt should be plenty.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

I've read way too many threads about the 12 bolt being too noisy. I am doubting I'll go with a 12 bolt. But I don't know yet for sure.
Unfortuanatly the torque arm style suspension puts a good load around the pinion bearings on most rear ends because of how it mounts causing noise. The Moser 12 bolt has IMO about the best mount for the torque arm on a 12 bolt, however the Moser 9" attaches the torque arm much differently then any other rear end in an f-body. This may be a very good choice if you're concerned with noise, just don't get the M9 because that torque arm will make noise.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
I take it you didn't want the BS that goes along with posting this on CR?
Yeah. Too many non-ls1 owners posting about **** they don't know about. I know there are a few people that know their stuff when it comes to LS1's (you included), but I figured this would be easier than sorting out all the crap.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
Unfortuanatly the torque arm style suspension puts a good load around the pinion bearings on most rear ends because of how it mounts causing noise. The Moser 12 bolt has IMO about the best mount for the torque arm on a 12 bolt, however the Moser 9" attaches the torque arm much differently then any other rear end in an f-body. This may be a very good choice if you're concerned with noise, just don't get the M9 because that torque arm will make noise.
Which are you saying would be a very good choice?

The M9 is more than what I need and priced more than I want to pay.

I think a 12 bolt would be good for my application. I just don't want the noise because I drive it a good amount during the summer.

If I was to go with a Moser 9", what spool, locker, etc do I get?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

I believe you lose your ABS if you go with a spool. Something to also think about...
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

I guess what I'm looking for is something that is street friendly that will handle some track abuse, basically, something that's as quiet and acts like a 10-bolt, but beefier. Obviously, trying to beef up the stocker is not worth it. We all know that. So, what are my options?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the moser 9"w/ trutrac, 3.89 gears and have had no problems with it. I have about 5000 miles/2 years on it and it is great. I also have M/T E.T. streets and beat on it on the street a lot. You won't be dissappointed with it. Also have BMR drag pac adj. torque arm and BMR lca's.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
I believe you lose your ABS if you go with a spool. Something to also think about...
We've had customer order ABS with their spool, I'm not sure how it worked out but I've never had anyone call back saying it was a waste of money. Bob
Old 10-23-2009, 05:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FST SS
I have the moser 9"w/ trutrac, 3.89 gears and have had no problems with it. I have about 5000 miles/2 years on it and it is great. I also have M/T E.T. streets and beat on it on the street a lot. You won't be dissappointed with it. Also have BMR drag pac adj. torque arm and BMR lca's.
That is good to hear! Bob
Old 10-23-2009, 05:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I guess what I'm looking for is something that is street friendly that will handle some track abuse, basically, something that's as quiet and acts like a 10-bolt, but beefier. Obviously, trying to beef up the stocker is not worth it. We all know that. So, what are my options?
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
Moser 9 inch with either the Truetrac, Locker or Wavetrak

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=148
Moser 9 inch with a spool

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324
Moser M9 that comes with a great torque arm and transmission crossmember.

All of the above rears ship out just two days after the order is received! The M9 may appear to be out of your price range, but unless you already have an aftermarket torque arm, the price ends up being right in there. It automatically comes with a drain and a fill plug, and the torque arm relocates the front mount off the transmission, relieving the transmission of the awful stress that the rear places on it.
Here is a link to what can happen to the factory torque arm.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58 Bob
Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a Moser, Bob over at EPP is the way to go, very very helpful, even though I decided to go with a Midwest Chassis 9", he helped me to research all of my options.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Which are you saying would be a very good choice?

The M9 is more than what I need and priced more than I want to pay.

I think a 12 bolt would be good for my application. I just don't want the noise because I drive it a good amount during the summer.

If I was to go with a Moser 9", what spool, locker, etc do I get?
I'd say to get a Moser 9" with a trutrac, and just stick with stock replacement suspension pieces (adjustable). Given your desire to keep noise down and drive as close to stock as possible I think this would be your best fit. You should never have issues.

I think the 12 bolt is the better fit for me (just to clarify) it takes less power to spin, I won't overpower it, and I don't care how much noise it makes, I just turn up the radio.

Search this Thread