Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Backing plate removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Backing plate removal

I hope this weekend I can ****** the backing plates off my car so I can send them off for an S60. I can't remember if they're pressed on or how they're actually attached to the car. Am I gonna need a puller? Or are they bolted on? If I have to sawzal the damn things off I will. I'm so freakin tired of this 10 bolt. It will be worth every $0.01 to get a new rear... just not the extra $250 for new backing plates
Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backing plates are bolted on. Have to remove the axles and the calipers. 4 bolts holding them on, I believe.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are not bolted on,, the bolts attach the plate to the axel housing but you will have to cut the pressed bearing off to remove the backing plate. The 4 bolts just secure it in the correct position on the housing.

Once you remove your tire, calipers and rotors, you undo the 4 bolts and theyn u can remove the axel from the housing,, THEN you will either have to pull the bearing, or cut it off to get your backing plates off to send in,, i cut mine off.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

yes sir bolted on x3
Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are bolted on with 4 bolts per plate
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

What kind of puller will I need? Would a blind hole bearing puller get it done? Why am I so concerned with the preserving the stock rear??? I guess its not like I'll be re-using anything from it EVER again!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
they are not bolted on,, the bolts attach the plate to the axel housing but you will have to cut the pressed bearing off to remove the backing plate. The 4 bolts just secure it in the correct position on the housing.

Once you remove your tire, calipers and rotors, you undo the 4 bolts and theyn u can remove the axel from the housing,, THEN you will either have to pull the bearing, or cut it off to get your backing plates off to send in, i cut mine off.
+1 more or less

It is bolted to the housing, but it's also stuck between the spindle and bearing of your axle. So, once you undo all of your brakes and unbolt the plate (4 bolts), you have to pull your axles. Once you pull your axles, you have to cut the axle bearing off and you can then slide the backing plate off the axle. I would also clearly mark them to avoid mixup..
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
I would also clearly mark them to avoid mixup..
Good Idea.

Ok, I guess if I have to get full-contact with the 10 bolt one last time then I'll try to enjoy it. Anyone have any clue what the average turnaround on the S60 is these days?

Thanks for the replies yall!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
What kind of puller will I need? Would a blind hole bearing puller get it done? Why am I so concerned with the preserving the stock rear??? I guess its not like I'll be re-using anything from it EVER again!
There are pathetic guys like me that try to stay with the 10 bolt - I drive about 25k a year, street only. I don't need a 10 bolt at the moment but some poor sap near you might.

I think autozone rents the axle bearing puller for free. I hope to change my axle bearings next week. I don't plan on cutting anything.

And if I misunderstood something someone please straighten me out... thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

I doubt anyone would like anything from mine, lol. The carrier is missing teeth like a shark, the gears are loud and vibrate terribly, and the bearings howl...
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

so if remove my backing plates the 10 bolt will remain reusable correct because id like to sell it? all it will need is backing plates put back on?

Quick Reply: Backing plate removal