Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential

I want my car to have a limited slip differential or a Locking differential in my car so my wheels spin together

Is it when I buy the a differential or I need a differential carrier or what I really dont know
Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

anyone
Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

What kind of car do you have? If you want both tires to spin you have to have some sort of limited slip, locker, or spool. Most performance cars came with a limited slip, so maybe you should post up a little more info and we can help you figure out what you need to do.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

You are referring to the same thing. If you still have a 10bolt buy an eaton Locker. It will still allow you to turn and you will have posi traction when going straight. Just so you know the entire rear end will have to be set up so you need to buy a master bearing kit and gear set. Average price to install is around 400. and parts can go near 1K. It is alot of money to put in a 10 bolt. I would recommend you to talk to some sponsors and or look in the classifieds for a 12 or 9". If you plan on making the car a any better then stock dont throw your money away on the 10 bolt.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Lighter cars and auto cars can make the ten bolts last. Plus how you drive and the tires you select will have a big influence on how long the ten bolt lasts.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
What kind of car do you have? If you want both tires to spin you have to have some sort of limited slip, locker, or spool. Most performance cars came with a limited slip, so maybe you should post up a little more info and we can help you figure out what you need to do.

I am talking in general can I convert a car that spins in one wheel spins in two wheel like limited slip or locker
Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by G8GT7
I am talking in general can I convert a car that spins in one wheel spins in two wheel like limited slip or locker
Yes you can convert any "open diff" to a limited slip by replacing the internal carrier, assuming we are talking about an application where the appropriate aftermarket parts are available. Your choices become limited when we start talking about some vehicles, and is why I asked what kind of car you had in mind but I think the generalized answer is yes you can.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
Yes you can convert any "open diff" to a limited slip by replacing the internal carrier, assuming we are talking about an application where the appropriate aftermarket parts are available. Your choices become limited when we start talking about some vehicles, and is why I asked what kind of car you had in mind but I think the generalized answer is yes you can.
thanks