Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gears whining REAL loud!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears whining REAL loud!!

I just recently finished putting together my latest project, 2002 Camaro/LS1 + T56 swap car and had a set of 4.10 gears and Eaton Posi put in. I wen't and picked up my car yesterday and found that it whines REALLY, REALLY loud!!! I know aftermarket gears usually aren't the quietest but I know they definitely aren't supposed to be this loud. It also seems like I can feel/hear a little movement coming from back there at low speeds, like everything isn't tight as it should be? What do you guys think shop did wrong? All suggestions welcome.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell ya' they did it wrong.
Take it back now and dont put any more miles on it than needed.

They can be reset before permanent damage occurs.

At the worst, aftermarket gear whine should be very VERY minimal to nonexistent assuming they are properly set up.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

backlash wasnt set right they left something wrong
Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After checking backlash, assuming it is correct (which I wouldn't) you could also take the cover off and check your gear pattern. that is simple to do...

Also, not sure if carrier bearing preload would cause whine but you could take your carrier caps off (make sure they are marked so you know where to put them back) and see if your carrier is really easy to remove. If it practically falls out then you probably don't have enough preload and can add equal shims to each side (assuming your backlash was right) to get more preload. You can look up how to do this as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Just what I assumed. They installed it, but didn't set everything up correctly. I'll take it back first thing tommorrow morning.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Troy
After checking backlash, assuming it is correct (which I wouldn't) you could also take the cover off and check your gear pattern. that is simple to do...

Also, not sure if carrier bearing preload would cause whine but you could take your carrier caps off (make sure they are marked so you know where to put them back) and see if your carrier is really easy to remove. If it practically falls out then you probably don't have enough preload and can add equal shims to each side (assuming your backlash was right) to get more preload. You can look up how to do this as well.
This surely sounds like it could be the case. Like I said I can literally hear something moving around back there when I come to a stop. Sounds like something has too much clearance. I'm pretty pissed but i'm going to be nice and allow them to take care of it.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

I agree its better to be nice but personally, i'd check those things that we suggested because its easier to go in and say, my backlash is .020 vs. what it should be, or my pattern is way off vs what it should be, etc. and then show them and have them fix it.

If you don't feel comfortable with that stuff, I understand but its honestly not that difficult to check and there are a ton of writeups on the web.

In my experience, if you leave it up to them, you're probably in for a long ordeal.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 PM
9 Second Club

How'd you make out?