Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 12 bolt.... JUNK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default moser 12 bolt.... JUNK?

i have a moser 12 bolt... about 10k on it. no drag strip just street. but the thing is the damn pinion leaks like crazy! ive replaced the seal many times. it still does it even after about 1k miles when i first got it the thing leaked!! wtf is this common? or they just crapy? i really want to go with a nine inch.

how to fix the leakin tho?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where is it actually leaking from? if around the outside of the seal where its pressed into the housing i have always ran a small bead of black rtv around the outside of it and never had a problem. if its leaking from where the pinion gear goes thru are you sure you have the correct seal?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you a 6-speed or an A4? 12-bolts are known to have problems in M6 cars (mine included), A4's seem to have a little less trouble. I don't know for sure that it has anything to do with the manufacturer or if it's just the design, but they tend to just seem to be a pain in the *** in a M6 car.

As far as fixing the leak, I don't really know what else to do besides what ^^^ said. How quickly is it losing fluid?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
where is it actually leaking from? if around the outside of the seal where its pressed into the housing i have always ran a small bead of black rtv around the outside of it and never had a problem. if its leaking from where the pinion gear goes thru are you sure you have the correct seal?

it seems to be leaking around just the outside of the seal. ive done the rtv before and it still leaks. its a M6 car. it will leak more if i beat on it. i just want the leakin to stop. or i'll be selling the 12 bolt and going to a 9 inch. maybe change the bearing? i got the seal right from moser. so its the right one
Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 PM
9 Second Club

I have the same problem with mine changed several times and it still leaks.Man it makes amess cause the driveshaft spinning right throws everywhere I've had might go to 9 " my driveway looks like hell because of this leak.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Try using the stuff called "right stuff" Comes in a black/grey/orange can, expensive $25-30 a can- but Ive used it quite a few times on various gear jobs and have never had a problem from a leaking pinion seal/cover. Get a new seal, make sure its clean, and smear some on w/your finger and forget about it. Be careful using it on your cover though, Ive had to use mallets/chisels to get some of them off........
Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blk96406
Try using the stuff called "right stuff" Comes in a black/grey/orange can, expensive $25-30 a can- but Ive used it quite a few times on various gear jobs and have never had a problem from a leaking pinion seal/cover. Get a new seal, make sure its clean, and smear some on w/your finger and forget about it. Be careful using it on your cover though, Ive had to use mallets/chisels to get some of them off........

damn sounds like some tuff ****. where would i buy that at?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by INTENESS
I have the same problem with mine changed several times and it still leaks.Man it makes amess cause the driveshaft spinning right throws everywhere I've had might go to 9 " my driveway looks like hell because of this leak.
oh i hear ya on the driveway. hate to see what happens when slicks go on and take it to the track. going to have a pond under the rear! haha. but really thinkin on going 9''
Old 11-16-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

RIGHT STUFF gasket maker will seal it right up and make sure all is dry before applying and wait overnight to fill the pumpkin again....it wil never leak, mine has gone 4 yrs no leaks
Old 11-16-2009, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPEED#1
RIGHT STUFF gasket maker will seal it right up and make sure all is dry before applying and wait overnight to fill the pumpkin again....it wil never leak, mine has gone 4 yrs no leaks
ok i'll try some of that stuff. thanks. if that dont work its FOR SALE! lol
Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

mine is leaking too!! off topic but wouldnt you have to check the gear pattern after u swap the pinion seal? the pinion needs to come off right? how are you guys doing the job? sorry for the hijack
Old 11-16-2009, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
mine is leaking too!! off topic but wouldnt you have to check the gear pattern after u swap the pinion seal? the pinion needs to come off right? how are you guys doing the job? sorry for the hijack
you dont have to take the pinion out. just take drive shaft out and the yoke on the rear end and change the seal
Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsback08
damn sounds like some tuff ****. where would i buy that at?
Cant buy it in a store...... guess you'll have to throw it on a pallet and ship it up here to Wisconsin for the price of scrap!!!!!!

J/K I just bought a can @ O'Reillys up here. Autozone, Carquest, Fleet Farm, and Napa have it also........
Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blk96406
Cant buy it in a store...... guess you'll have to throw it on a pallet and ship it up here to Wisconsin for the price of scrap!!!!!!

J/K I just bought a can @ O'Reillys up here. Autozone, Carquest, Fleet Farm, and Napa have it also........

haha. hell i'll ship it to ya if you pay for it lol. i want a 9 inch!! but for now i'll try that stuff....
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

you guys are funny. your using the wrong pinion seal. I am too. what is the answer to this riddle?! i think the width of this is 1.85. anyone know which seal fits into the 12 bolt with that 1350 yoke with the fat shaft?

Quick Reply: moser 12 bolt.... JUNK?