Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Loud 12 bolt is loud...

Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loud 12 bolt is loud...

Anything I can do to quiet down my Moser 12 bolt? It's soooooooooo loud at highway speeds. It isn't that bad with the windows down and radio on but when I ride with my mom she is weird with the radio and won't let me listen to it. It's only bad from about 60-80mph, my mom cries when I go 80+ so yeah, have to deal with the whine either way.

But is there anything I can do to make it quieter? Do I change the fluid? It's so loud it's pissing me off, it's weird because it will stop whining at 70mph.

Also can anyone guess what gears I have? I am at 2k I think at 85mph. Car is an M6.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try changing out the gear oil for a thicker 140 weight. It may help quiet it down. I'm not sure on your gear ratio at 80 mph. With your car in neutral can jack up the rear, rotate a tire one complete revolution and count how many times the driveshaft rotates. If the driveshaft rotates 3.75 revolutions for one revolution of the tire, you would have 3:73 gears. A little over four revolutions would be 4:10 gears. Chock the front wheels and use jack stands when doing this!!!! Bob

Search this Thread