Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changing Axle Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Axle Shaft

I'm in the middle of changing an axle shaft and need a little help .... I have the brake caliper and rotor removed from the side I am changing . My question is how do I remove the C clip from the axle shaft to remove it .... ? I already have the differential opened but the pictures in my manual seem to be from a v6 or something .... My car is 2001 Z28 by the way .
Thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

well if its a 4 channel (TCS) you must remove the sensor from the backing plate. Then pull the 5/16 bolt from the carrier that is holding a rod/cylinder piece in the middle of the carrier. Remove that that rod and push your axle in and the c-clip should fall right out
Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

It does have TCS . Where exactly is the sensor located ? Also where is the 5/16 bolt at ? I tried searching for some vids on youtube but didnt find anything similar ....
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just turn the carrier by hand and you'll see the crosspin bolt. It's a dinky bolt, I think I used an 8mm wrench. Once you pull that out, lightly tap out the center pin (NOT ALL THE WAY!) then flip the carrier over again and pull it out. Then push the axle inward and the c-clip will practically fall out.

That's if you don't have a Torsen, Torsen is different.

The ABS sensors are on the brake backing plates.

EDIT: Here's a vid showing where the bolt is:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327955_remove-car-axles.html
Old 11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

My carrier doesn't turn by hand like in the video which is probably why I can't find the bolt . Is it possibly because my car is an automatic ? I tried putting it in neutral and got the same result . I DIDN'T turn the car on though so it may not have engauged fully into neutral but I could be wrong .... ?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I ended up turning the car on and some how the carrier did move ! Made a loud unknown noise but everything looks to be undamaged in the differential . I'm going to try to finish up the rest tonight . Anybody have any ideas what the noise could have been or why I can't turn my carrier by hand ?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

let me know how it feels when u finish.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

It turned out pretty good . I'm on the stock wheels and tires again for right now instead of my ZR1's so it won't grip much. I replaced the panhard bar and lower control arms for some aftermarkets ones too and it seems to have stiffened up the rear end a little bit .