Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Where do I get a Moser 12-bolt diff cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where do I get a Moser 12-bolt diff cover gasket?

I have a Moser 12-bolt in my 2002 Z28 and it's been leaking like crazy out of the bottom of the diff cover. I'm guessing I also overfilled it because it's constantly leaking out of the breather tube, as well, even though it's placed pretty high up (strange?). I want to replace the gasket for the cover but where can I get one? Is there somewhere I can pick one up or do I have to order it? I kind of need it by Tuesday if at all possible because I have a track rental Wednesday and I don't want to get any crap for fluid leaking.

Also, when I replace it and fill it back up, what is the spec on how much fluid goes in? Any issues with Royal Purple?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

This is a reply from Bob at EPP:

You will need three bottles of 80/90 weight gear lube - non synthetic! We usually go with the Napa brand. I think your rear has an Eaton posi in it, so get posi additive (friction modifier) for it, use two of them.

Note: Bob and Moser have clearly stated. DO NOT USE synthetic as the warranty is voided if you do.

My reply and information from Moser.

If you have an aftermarket cover the fill hole is very high on the cover. However, this is NOT the oil level.

The actual fill hole and oil level hole is on the front passenger side of the rear end diff. The plug is hex so you will need a pretty big hex Allen wrench or drive adapter with a hex head to remove the plug. I don't recall the size - SAE I recall rather than metric.

Pretty easy to fill - add until gear oil starts to run out from front passenger side hole on the diff.

Or - add from the rear cover fill hole until gear oil start to run out from the fron passenger diff side add/fill hole.

Until you find a new gasket why not try silicone gasket cement. Order a gasket from Moser or EPP.

Tip: add the posi additive (friction modifier) first rather than last or mix it in your first bottle of gear oil to eliminate having to drain oil back out to allow room for the additive.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-21-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
This is a reply from Bob at EPP:

You will need three bottles of 80/90 weight gear lube - non synthetic! We usually go with the Napa brand. I think your rear has an Eaton posi in it, so get posi additive (friction modifier) for it, use two of them.

Note: Bob and Moser have clearly state. DO NOT USE synthetic as the warranty is voided if you do.

My reply and information from Moser.

If you have an aftermarket cover the fill hole is very high on the cover. However, this is NOT the oil level.

The actual fill hole and oil level hole is on the front passenger side of the rear end diff. The plug is hex so you will need a pretty big hex Allen wrench or drive adapter with a hex head to remove the plug. I don't recall the size - SAE I recall rather than metric.

Pretty easy to fill - add until gear oil starts to run out from front passenger side hole on the diff.

Or - add from the rear cover fill hole until gear oil start to run out from the fron passenger diff side add/fill hole.

Until you find a new gasket why not try silicone gasket cement. Order a gasket from Moser or EPP.

Tip: add the posi additive (friction modifier) first rather than last or mix it in your first bottle of gear oil to eliminate having to drain oil back out to allow room for the additive.
Thanks for the response! I still need to replace the gasket as it looks like I might be getting a small drip from that, but it turns out the clamp that held the rubber hose on the breather hole wasn't tightened up, so I was getting at least the majority of the leak from fluid spilling out there. When I looked at it this morning and saw how much fluid was under there, I knew something wasn't right, so I started looking around for something other than the gasket. I've always had a slight drip from the gasket but now that I've got a new (better) clamp on the breather tube, I'll just keep an eye on it and see if the gasket still needs to be replaced. I can hold off until I order one from Bob if it's just a drop or two. I was just worried when I saw a small puddle under there.

My rear does have an Eaton posi, by the way, so when I replace the gasket I'll make sure to go with the nonsynthetic gear oil and additive.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

If most of the oil dripping to the ground is from the vent tube you want to position the tube and tie in place so it vents just the gases from the diff rather than gear oil. Obviously you might have to lengthen the hose if the current one is cut too short.

If the tube is positioned correctly any gear oil forced into the tube should gravity flow back into the diff instead of letting the tube hang down so oil in the tube will gravity feed out of the tube and to the ground.

If it's overfilled you will smell the fluid more readily than if the level is correct. At least that's what happened when I overfilled mine.

Now that the level is correct I smell no gear oil at all.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
If most of the oil dripping to the ground is from the vent tube you want to position the tube and tie in place so it vents just the gases from the diff rather than gear oil. Obviously you might have to lengthen the hose if the current one is cut too short.

If the tube is positioned correctly any gear oil forced into the tube should gravity flow back into the diff instead of letting the tube hang down so oil in the tube will gravity feed out of the tube and to the ground.

If it's overfilled you will smell the fluid more readily than if the level is correct. At least that's what happened when I overfilled mine.

Now that the level is correct I smell no gear oil at all.
Yeah, the tube was long enough and placed correctly, it just wasn't attached securely to the little vent piece that sticks off of the axle tube, so fluid was leaking out there. It's secure now so I'm going to just keep an eye on it and make sure I've got it tight enough.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 12 bolt cover gasket should be able to be found at your local parts store. Tell them to look one up for a '70 Chevelle 12 bolt. Bob
Old 11-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not skip the gasket and use RTV? That's what I do - definitely wont leak.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the advice, guys. After fixing the breather tube issue, I wiped everything down, then drove the car HARD all last night and parked it in the garage. I went out there tonight to check under it and there's not one drop of fluid on the floor or dripping from the rear, so it almost looks like maybe it was fluid traveling down from the breather tube that made it look like the gasket was the issue. I'll keep an eye on it but it looks like I may have been barking up the wrong tree with the gasket.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

summit or jegs have the gaskets if you are still looking for one, gm 12 bolt 8.875"
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
A 12 bolt cover gasket should be able to be found at your local parts store. Tell them to look one up for a '70 Chevelle 12 bolt. Bob

Ditto. a 12 bolt car rear is a 12 bolt car rear. cover should be all the same. Except for the 68-70 Olds rear that has 12 bolt cover aand 10 bolt carrier, those are as bad as a 7.5 10 bolt.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe just go to a local NAPA and get the gasket and fluid
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to bring this back from the dead, I have a moser 12 bolt thats leaking, I am in the process of changing my gasket on my 12 bolt and before i opened the rear I decided to hold the gasket up the the rear to make sure its right. It seems like my gasket is alot smaller then my rear in the car. My bolt holes measure from very top hole straight down to bottom hole is about 10 1/4". The Gasket 12 bolt I bought at Discount Auto measures 9 1/2". So it seems to be off 3/4". Any ideas??
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

There are two different 12 bolt rears. Truck and passenger car. The covers are different.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

That could explain it.. How do I know which one i have?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Which design the rear is? The Moser 12-bolt = passenger car, just like the Strange 12-bolt.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

use gasket sealer, just make sure the mating surfaces are cleaned with a scraper and brake cleaner, i've found that the gasket sealer works the best

Quick Reply: Where do I get a Moser 12-bolt diff cover gasket?