Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

can one corner with c- clip eliminators??????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can one corner with c- clip eliminators??????????

ok so dumb question does the 33 spline moser set up have c- clip ends, or do 33 spline options only come with c- clip eliminators? also what do i need to do to mount the torque arm, iv noticed that the torque arm mount is completely threaded? All i really wanna know is, will the press on axle bearings that moser gives you let the car corner hard without spilling fluid eventually or even worse an axle.

thx guys,

Tom

Last edited by Blacklightning744; 12-06-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
ok so dumb question does the 33 spline moser set up have c- clip ends, or do 33 spline options only come with c- clip eliminators? also what do i need to do to mount the torque arm, iv noticed that the torque arm mount is completely threaded?

thx guys,

Tom
You will use 4 short bolts to attach the TA rather than the two long bolts that run from top to bottom that attaches the stock TA on the stock rearend housing. But I think that is unique to Moser. I think on a Strange you use just two bolts from top to bottom but you use a bigger bolts usually supplied (optionally) by the vendor.

The short bolts are known to loosen over time so they have to be torqued to the extreme - use red thread locker - or wire tie them. BTW - you will want to use grade 8 bolts. No cheap stuff here that will break or shear.

You 'wudda thunk' by now that Moser would have changed the 12 bolt housing design so the two TA bolts would protrude through the housing from top to bottom. But they haven't - so they probably never will.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-06-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Launching!

alright axlewise though can the 33 spline axles come in c- clip type?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Launching!

bu bumpa
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

I had mine set up with C-clip elimanators. Its alot safer. I do have a moser 12 bolt and NEVER had a hardware problem. But I do things different. Mine was set up with a trutrac-4:10s-33 splined 4 series carrier. had it going on 5 yrs now.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tillery
I had mine set up with C-clip elimanators. Its alot safer. I do have a moser 12 bolt and NEVER had a hardware problem. But I do things different. Mine was set up with a trutrac-4:10s-33 splined 4 series carrier. had it going on 5 yrs now.
yea but how often do you corner, i go around a ton of turns around here in Pittsburgh, c-clip eliminators will eventually distort and either leak or worse break.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Everyday. I am not easy on my car. No they will not break. These things are far superior to the c-clips.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Everyday. I am not easy on my car. No they will not break. These things are far superior to the c-clips.
alrighty then i appericiate the input, i am releaved to here that comin from a person who is also hard on there car lol . thx man
Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I to have the moser 12 bolt, at first I did notice the top two bolts wanting to come loose, but now I use a lock washer and red lock tight, no issues after that.

I have the smaller 30 spline with c clip eliminators and I daily drive the car. Although cornering is not ideal with c clip elim. its not that big of an issue. These bearings are heavy duty and there is an o-ring,two bearing seals, and then another seal that keeps these things from leaking. Mine is driven down curvy roads all the time, every other day, no issues 3 years now with it in the car.

This new axle seup should be the least of your worries now.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Why do you say that they are not Ideal? I have been to events where a c clp has failed and an axle leave the housing. Now on our cars the brake caliper will some what hold it in. At least it did for me when I broke the axle and carrier on my 10 bolt. The nine inch is always a bolt in design. And No issues. I can see some peoples concern from the lateral forces may make the c clip eliminated housings leak-but they wont. You tires will break adhesion before the forces get to great. The aftermarket housing( Moser and Strange) Is alot better than the factory. It is set up for the Big ford bearing on the axle housing and the center section is better overall. With a properly tuned suspension for what your doing. Your chassis and tires are abused more than the rear end. And yes I have seen and driven the roads there In PA. From Pittsburg to Homer city/Indiana and north from there. OMG!! Lots of nice curves for a nice sunny day.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you say that they are not Ideal? I have been to events where a c clp has failed and an axle leave the housing. Now on our cars the brake caliper will some what hold it in. At least it did for me when I broke the axle and carrier on my 10 bolt. The nine inch is always a bolt in design. And No issues. I can see some peoples concern from the lateral forces may make the c clip eliminated housings leak-but they wont. You tires will break adhesion before the forces get to great. The aftermarket housing( Moser and Strange) Is alot better than the factory. It is set up for the Big ford bearing on the axle housing and the center section is better overall. With a properly tuned suspension for what your doing. Your chassis and tires are abused more than the rear end. And yes I have seen and driven the roads there In PA. From Pittsburg to Homer city/Indiana and north from there. OMG!! Lots of nice curves for a nice sunny day.
The 9 inch came from the factory with tapered bearings allowing it to handles turns better, I made a lot of calls when I did my axle and both strange and moser said its not ideal, but at the same time the bearings are so heavy duty that there won't be an issue. Not trying to scare ya, LOL.

I do agree the c-clip eliminators are safer but they were designed for drag racing, straight line, in mind. I would end the thread here...they are the way to go!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

The "C-Clip Eliminators" use to be a bearing pressed into a block of aluminum or steel, pressed on the axle and sandwiched between the backing plate and the housing, after the housing was cut to remove where the bearing use to be pressed into. They usually leaked. Today the housing is modified to accept the bearing pressed on the axle like the 9", Olds style, etc. You should get the 3.50" bearing with the O-Ring on the outer race. You will have to have the backing plate cut .003" to retain the bearing OR a plate with a recess in it comes with the modified housing. The hardened t-nuts with the nylock nuts and O-Ring should come with the modification. I had this done to my 60. Absolutely no problems.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Launching!

once again thx a bunch for the input guys, it means a lot, im pretty comfortable with what i read, all my concerns have been put to rest.

thx,
Tom

Quick Reply: can one corner with c- clip eliminators??????????