Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Leaky pinion seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky pinion seal. Recall?

Hello all,

I have a pinion seal leak on my stock 98 T/A w/ 46k on odo. It was first identified by the dealer I bought it from, but they didn't offer any other information except that they can repair it.

I'm wondering if there is a safety recall on these damn seals, as this thread indicates this is a known problem to many and that the seal had be redesigned more than once.

My other car has the DSM engine w/ AWD. It has a known recall for transfer case leakage at the yoke that causes 4-wheel-lockup at speed without warning. The symptoms of that leak looks similar to that of my T/A now. But I can't find any recalls for 98 Firebird or T/A on nhtsa.org.

I have the replacement seal, oil, lsd additave, and cover gasket to do it myself, but thought for a second that this doesn't seem like normal maintenance if there's a risk for a lockup.

Can anyone shed some info?

Last edited by spoulson; 12-14-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think there is a recall on the seals, there may be a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) on the seals which basically lets the dealer know there is a specific problem with a certain part, but usually this does not get fixed under warranty unless you are in the standard 36/36,000 time frame. The only thing you can do is go back to the dealer ask them if there is anything they can do for you and let them know it should not be leaking in 46k miles and see if they can help you out.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HOTROD98Z
I dont think there is a recall on the seals, there may be a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin)...
Yeah, I guess I figured. I guess it takes X number of fatalities to warrant a safety recall. I do know of several DSM transfer case lockups and some were real close calls.

Oh well, I'll just do the fluid change. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck
Old 12-19-2003, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost all of the stock 10 bolt pinion seals leaked. I fixed mine by removing the nut and re-sealing the washer and threads. After looking at mine I'm quite sure that the sealant used by the factory didnt hold up after a few thousand miles. Mine quit leaking after the re-seal. Then I broke it!!
Old 12-19-2003, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

I like to use some real thick grease on the seal whenever I have it apart. Seems to keep it from leaking or at least reduce the amount it leaks.