Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" install with relation to driveshaft

Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" install with relation to driveshaft

got my axles together with the reluctor rings and correct backing plates. now i need new outter seals. anyone have the part number on that? also my biggest concern is the driveshaft. i read that factory is going to be an inch to short. so what can i measure to to see if i need to order a new ds? i don't want to run something that's not set up right. thanks in advance guys
Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Launching!

bumpp...need some quick help. my dd is on jackstands
Old 12-14-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can use the stocker for a little while. It will still work just doesnt go in to the tranny as much.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you really are on a budget grab a lt1 drive shaft and swap the ls1 snout on it that goes into the tansmission and you have a driveshaft that is 1 inch longer and is stronger than your stock aluminum one. The driveshaft is an inch to short and doing what I said earlier in my post will fix that.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Use dim X in the above diagram to measure for the length.

This is the driveshaft I use and recommend.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=827 Bob
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

so all nine inch rear ends no matter what kind of 3rd member it has need a one inch longer driveshaft then factory? because my 3rd member is not from moser. i do however have the 1350 yoke
Old 12-15-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rggbly
so all nine inch rear ends no matter what kind of 3rd member it has need a one inch longer driveshaft then factory? because my 3rd member is not from moser. i do however have the 1350 yoke

on mine there was an obviouse ling on the snout where it used to seal to thre tranny when i tried putting the driveshaft back it with the old rear it sat exactly 1 inch back check it that way not the perfect way to do it but it wil ball park it for you.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

i have a 1330 yoke and is a inch longer then the 1350 and fits with the stock u-joint and stock driveshaft.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the process of installing a 9" in my SS. The drive shaft is a easy fix. Yes it is a inch shorter. Go this link and order this yoke http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-For...Q5fAccessories
It is a inch longer than the one that is currently on your 9". Next you go to O'reiley (or however you spell it) and get a U joint to make the conversion from your stock driveshaft to a 1350 yoke. The part number on that is "precision brand 447". After you do that you should be all set. Try not to beat the **** outa that stock driveshaft though. Word is they will turn into a pretzel on you if your not careful. If you need anything else let me know. I'm putting that 9" right now and its a easy install.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh and make double sure that your pinion is a 28 spline. The people who have the yokes are fast shippers. I had mine in like 3 days or something. It was fast. It looks just like it does in the picture too. Its really bad *** lookin.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a junkyard center section and looking to save a couple bucks this maynot be a bad idea to do nothing more than get you by. the real world situation is this... if you have the need for a 9 inch rearend in your car, you have the same need for a better driveshaft. the strock driveshafts are the next weakest link after the diff and axles in the stock rearends. as soon as(and some cases before) you have issues with the rearend, chances are the driveshaft will be next.

now figure in the cost factors... say you spend the 100.00 on the yoke and labor to change it. ok not too bad and the yoke is probably plenty strong. you go out and hammer down and bang! driveshaft fails, tears up the new yoke, possibly damages the pinion, ruins your nice new cat-back stainless exhaust, pounds the floor pans like a demo derby, and at the same time breaks the tailshaft on your trans(yes this does happen!). the cost of the simple repairs on the car will far, far exceed the cost of a good driveshaft(even maybe a carbon) if you would have spent the money right the first time and done it all together with the correct shaft. in the end, if even some of this scenario happens, you will be money and labor ahead to get a good driveshaft at the same time as the rearend. like i said... if you need a 9 inch, you need a driveshaft.

I am direct with Strange and PST, who make some of the finest driveshafts in the country. they are affordable too, starting at around 275.00 for a complete assy, including 1350 yokes , joints, and slip yoke, completely balanced and assemble, ready to install. customers who are ordering new rerarends from me will receive a discount when a driveshaft is purchased.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Launching!

thanks for the advice guys. picked up a pst 3.5!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

rggbly::

PM
thanks,Johnny

Search this Thread